Strathspey, was: Londoners

Martin

March 29, 2007, 4:01 p.m. (Message 48345)

Le 29 mars 07 à 15h15, Campbell Tyler a écrit :

> This ability to refer dancers elsewhere is in itself sufficient
> reason to be
> part of Strathspey.

Yes, indeed.
But what strange paths information can take!
Londoners have to go to SA to find out about dancing in London.

Yesterday, I had a phone call from a couple living 200 km from here
who had just heard about the dancing holiday I organize from friends
in England, and wanted to join us. Locally, the info had not
circulated, it seems.

A few years ago, 2 new dancers turned up. They lived in the same town
as our SCD club, but only discovered its existence because they'd
been to a festival at the other end of France.

How I wish I knew the secret of effective advertizing and recruiting!

Martin
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

March 30, 2007, 12:31 a.m. (Message 48349, in reply to message 48345)

G'Day, All,

I too heard nothing of SCD in Sydney for 20 years after I first came here.
Both my wife and I were familiar with SCD from our growing up in England,
but we saw or heard nothing. Yet Sydney Branch has been in existence since
1952 and the history goes back to early in the 1900s. Is there a lesson
somewhere?

Brian Charlton
Sydney, Australia
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

March 30, 2007, 9:35 a.m. (Message 48354, in reply to message 48349)

I think it is a common trend - unfortunately - so what to do?   We kind of
expect everyone to know of us, because we have been here since the year
dot - but forget that new people to an area won't have the knowledge - nor
probably the energy to go find something if it proves difficult to find -
what with moving, getting a new job - getting the kids to a new school,
finding a doctor etc etc etc - so you join what you can see is there - salsa
dancing, aerobics, 5-a-side football - because it is advertised where you
can see it.

And many times when you go to something - it is because a new neighbour or a
friend takes you, do we bring acquaintances to our classes?

The first thing is to get into as many local directories as possible - there
are plenty of free ones out there, if you don't want to pay for it.
Updating of these can be an interesting job, so you may want to have a
'permanent' contact point.

How many put posters up in your local supermarket?   Dentist's and doctor's
surgeries?  Schools' staff room - or rather

What do you do to make people know about you?

Pia
Dick&Maureen Daniel

Dick&Maureen Daniel

April 1, 2007, 5:34 p.m. (Message 48369, in reply to message 48354)

>From: "Pia" >Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:35:11 +0100

>What do you do to make people know about you?
>
>Pia

Hi,
I think what is required is a comprehensive list of all clubs worldwide,
with contact information - preferably including Google-friendly
Postcode/Zipcode [whatever].  That way, you could easily check if there is
any activity where you are going on holiday/ working trip etc. - let alone
when moving to a new location, and search for it on the map.
We recently went to Germany [Koburg] and were unable to find any info on
clubs in the general area.  An appeal on Strathspey Server produced no