MP3 idea

  • ...

    Gary Knox Oct. 1, 2001, 10:51 p.m. (Message 27630)

    I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
    tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
    living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
    musicians by buying their CDs.

    Gary Knox
    San Francisco Branch
    Berkeley Class (where we usually have the pleasure of live music)

    At 08:35 PM 10/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:

    >But, Marjorie's initial reference to the Stan Hamilton and another to the
    >Berkeley Players plus queries about Jimmy Blue and Peter White make me
    >wonder - Strathspey MP3 swap-shop, Anselm??
    >
    >Jim Healy
    >Perth, Scotland

    Gary Knox
    3673 Stoneglen South
    Richmond, CA  94806-5261
    (510) 223-4201
    xxxx@xxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Mike Mudrey Oct. 1, 2001, 11:03 p.m. (Message 27631, in reply to message 27630)

    Right on!

    I buy the CDs, and reburn the to CD or minidisc the track that I want to
    listen too frequently...but I still have the CDs.

    In the English Country Dance group to which I belong, I purchase two CDs,
    one for the group and one of me.

    The cost of music is cheap compared to the cost of not finding bands in the
    future when you need them.

    mm
  • ...

    Gary Knox Oct. 1, 2001, 11:44 p.m. (Message 27634, in reply to message 27630)

    I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
    tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
    living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
    musicians by buying their CDs.

    Gary Knox
    San Francisco Branch
    Berkeley Class (where we usually have the pleasure of live music)

    At 08:35 PM 10/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:

    >But, Marjorie's initial reference to the Stan Hamilton and another to the
    >Berkeley Players plus queries about Jimmy Blue and Peter White make me
    >wonder - Strathspey MP3 swap-shop, Anselm??
    >
    >Jim Healy
    >Perth, Scotland

    Gary Knox
    3673 Stoneglen South
    Richmond, CA  94806-5261
    (510) 223-4201
    xxxx@xxxxx.xxx

    Gary Knox
    3673 Stoneglen South
    Richmond, CA  94806-5261
    (510) 223-4201
    xxxx@xxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Cecilia Stolzer Grote Oct. 2, 2001, 10:19 a.m. (Message 27651, in reply to message 27630)

    I thought the discussion was on out-of-print music.  It's extremely
    frustrating to find out that the perfect piece of music you've just heard
    is out of print, and no plans to re-issue it.    I think most of us agree
    about supporting our musicians, heck I own record/tape/CD of more
    recordings than I care to admit.  But how can you buy a CD of something,
    when it doesn't exist?

    Cecilia Stolzer-Grote
    RSCDS San Francisco Branch

    Message text written by INTERNET:xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx

    At 01:51 PM 10/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:

    >I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
    >tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
    >living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
    >musicians by buying their CDs.

    <
  • ...

    Martin.Sheffield Oct. 2, 2001, 11:12 a.m. (Message 27674, in reply to message 27630)

    At 13:51 01/10/01 -0700, you wrote:

    >... I feel we as dancers must support our
    >musicians by buying their CDs.

    Total agreement (even if I have to admit owning one or two pirated
    cassettes -- given by well-meaning friends rather than solicited), and I
    usually say so when, after a workshop with newcomers, someone asks me for
    the pieces of music used for dances taught. Trouble is, when you have
    taught a handful of dances with music from the same number of different
    CDs, what do you say? "Go and order 120 euros worth of CDs, just to get the
    few tracks you want to listen to or use" ? (I think we have to pay rather
    more in Europe than you do outre-Atlantique).
    The price is definitely a disincentive, and only the hard-bitten like
    ourselves are willing to pay for hundreds of tracks although we'll never
    use more than a quarter of them.
    I used to buy every CD that came out, but now that I have 5 Follow me
    homes, 5 or more 80-bar reels, innumerable too-slow speys and too-fast
    jigs, not to mention Eightsome reels galore, I'm getting wary about what I
    order.
    The track-sharing idea is becoming attractive, whatever the ethics of the
    question, and I certainly like Oberdan's suggestion of a public pool of
    out-of-print material. After all, if a piece of music is widely appreciated
    but unavailable commercially, there will be plenty of private copying going
    on anyway. Having a centralized source of unscratched, unfaded music would
    suit me well.
    Martin,
     in Grenoble, France.

     http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
                  (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)