MP3 idea

Gary Knox

Oct. 1, 2001, 10:51 p.m. (Message 27630)

I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
musicians by buying their CDs.

Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch
Berkeley Class (where we usually have the pleasure of live music)

At 08:35 PM 10/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>But, Marjorie's initial reference to the Stan Hamilton and another to the
>Berkeley Players plus queries about Jimmy Blue and Peter White make me
>wonder - Strathspey MP3 swap-shop, Anselm??
>
>Jim Healy
>Perth, Scotland

Gary Knox
3673 Stoneglen South
Richmond, CA  94806-5261
(510) 223-4201
xxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

Oct. 1, 2001, 11:03 p.m. (Message 27631, in reply to message 27630)

Right on!

I buy the CDs, and reburn the to CD or minidisc the track that I want to
listen too frequently...but I still have the CDs.

In the English Country Dance group to which I belong, I purchase two CDs,
one for the group and one of me.

The cost of music is cheap compared to the cost of not finding bands in the
future when you need them.

mm
Gary Knox

Gary Knox

Oct. 1, 2001, 11:44 p.m. (Message 27634, in reply to message 27630)

I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
musicians by buying their CDs.

Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch
Berkeley Class (where we usually have the pleasure of live music)

At 08:35 PM 10/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>But, Marjorie's initial reference to the Stan Hamilton and another to the
>Berkeley Players plus queries about Jimmy Blue and Peter White make me
>wonder - Strathspey MP3 swap-shop, Anselm??
>
>Jim Healy
>Perth, Scotland

Gary Knox
3673 Stoneglen South
Richmond, CA  94806-5261
(510) 223-4201
xxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Gary Knox
3673 Stoneglen South
Richmond, CA  94806-5261
(510) 223-4201
xxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Cecilia Stolzer Grote

Cecilia Stolzer Grote

Oct. 2, 2001, 10:19 a.m. (Message 27651, in reply to message 27630)

I thought the discussion was on out-of-print music.  It's extremely
frustrating to find out that the perfect piece of music you've just heard
is out of print, and no plans to re-issue it.    I think most of us agree
about supporting our musicians, heck I own record/tape/CD of more
recordings than I care to admit.  But how can you buy a CD of something,
when it doesn't exist?

Cecilia Stolzer-Grote
RSCDS San Francisco Branch

Message text written by INTERNET:xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx

At 01:51 PM 10/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>I am not a musician and I strongly object to the idea of sharing recorded
>tracks. I love all the great CDs and bands that we can enjoy. Few make a
>living from their playing and I feel we as dancers must support our
>musicians by buying their CDs.

<
Martin.Sheffield

Martin.Sheffield

Oct. 2, 2001, 11:12 a.m. (Message 27674, in reply to message 27630)

At 13:51 01/10/01 -0700, you wrote:

>... I feel we as dancers must support our
>musicians by buying their CDs.

Total agreement (even if I have to admit owning one or two pirated
cassettes -- given by well-meaning friends rather than solicited), and I
usually say so when, after a workshop with newcomers, someone asks me for
the pieces of music used for dances taught. Trouble is, when you have
taught a handful of dances with music from the same number of different
CDs, what do you say? "Go and order 120 euros worth of CDs, just to get the
few tracks you want to listen to or use" ? (I think we have to pay rather
more in Europe than you do outre-Atlantique).
The price is definitely a disincentive, and only the hard-bitten like
ourselves are willing to pay for hundreds of tracks although we'll never
use more than a quarter of them.
I used to buy every CD that came out, but now that I have 5 Follow me
homes, 5 or more 80-bar reels, innumerable too-slow speys and too-fast
jigs, not to mention Eightsome reels galore, I'm getting wary about what I
order.
The track-sharing idea is becoming attractive, whatever the ethics of the
question, and I certainly like Oberdan's suggestion of a public pool of
out-of-print material. After all, if a piece of music is widely appreciated
but unavailable commercially, there will be plenty of private copying going
on anyway. Having a centralized source of unscratched, unfaded music would
suit me well.
Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
              (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)