for those concerned with the RSCDS

Angus Henry

June 24, 2001, 6:55 a.m. (Message 26386)

The Future or otherwise of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society:
an overseas perspective

from the Committee of Management, NT Branch RSCDS, Darwin, Australia..

The Society is undergoing painful but necessary change and has two
major related tasks - one is to restructure and become much more
efficient and economical, the other is to adjust fees and charges to
ensure financial viability.

However, the proposal to increase fees to £15 first, and then look at
efficiencies afterwards, is seen as a total reverse of sensible
management.   It is suspected that this might be because
decision-making members in UK are very much out of touch with
exchange rates in much of the dancing world, but we ask that the
following comments be given SERIOUS consideration before it is too
late.

We understand that discussions might be taking place during Summer
School.    If the comments below are applicable to your branch,
please support; if not, please ignore.

A.  COST

1.  QUOTE - " . . . over the last 12 years we lost on average just
under 3% of our membership per annum; however in the last year which
had a subscription increase, we only lost 1.5%."  (notes to Finance
Committee minutes of 28-04-2001).
This does NOT compare like with like - this time the proposed
increase is a huge 46.7%, not an incremental adjustment, for no
increase in benefit.   A similar rise in house or car rental would
make most people have to think seriously about jumping ship.

2.  In Australia, £15  = A$42.   This will buy a good pub lunch or
Asian cafe meal for 7 people; or 42 litres of petrol: a nearby hotel
provides roast dinners on the 4 quietest days of the week for $3.50
each i.e. the equivalent of 12 adult dinners for the cost of an
annual subscription.   These prices match our comparative incomes,
and we invite our UK colleagues to similarly price such
cost-of-living items and translate them in pounds to see an
equivalent effect to that which the rise will have on us here.

3.  We have been a very loyal branch and our constitution requires
that all who dance with us (visitors from interstate or overseas
excepted) are members of the RSCDS.   A straw poll suggests that very
few if any will pay/can afford the rise.   Of our present enrolments
(enthusiastically already paid up for 2001-2002) of 7 Long-term, 27
Annual and 6 Junior Associates we will have, a year from December, 7
Long-term, perhaps 2 Annual, and 6 Junior Associates.   By May 2003
the number of Long-term members will have dropped to 4 and by July
2006, to 2.

These numbers are obviously insufficient to continue, and further
recruitment will be nigh impossible to an undersubscribed and
expensive organisation.  To continue dancing we will therefore have
to amend our constitution to permit non RSCDS members to dance, at
reduced cost.   By 2006 it is quite likely we will be too few even to
form a Committee of Management.
ONCE THIS STEP IS TAKEN IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GO BACK; we will not
be able to ask members to pay more for the same service at a later
date.   The RSCDS will have virtually ceased to exist in Northern
Territory.

B.  SERVICE

1.  We used to have plain but informative Bulletins; now we have big,
glossy colourful empty ones;
**we would be happy to do without, or have the information on the web page.
2.  The Newsbriefs contain little practical information and are
usually left lying on the table by members
**we would be happy to do without, and have more detailed and
up-to-date information on the web page.

(Note - we have already saved the Society £26 000 per annum with the
above two items!)

3.  We know of no instance where having "a vote" has made any
practical difference as far as we as a branch are concerned to the
running of the Society; we would be happy to do without if this would
save massive and not very efficient gatherings in the name of
democracy.
Indeed, we would prefer to see the Society run by a small group of
practical and dynamic people whose responsibility was to the
development of a lean mean and efficient machine servicing members
and developing SCD world wide.

4.  Our members value; (a) access to Society support for the few who
make it to Summer School and for the occasional visit from H/Q; (b)
the subscription book and (c) the authority which the Society brought
to SCD as a world standard setter, lost for a few years of trying to
be all things to all men, and seemed to be resuming recently.

**BASICALLY: A LOW MEMBERSHIP FEE, GIVING ACCESS TO RSCDS FUNCTIONS,
PERHAPS A SUBSCRIPTION BOOK SO THAT THERE IS SOMETHING TANGIBLE TO
SHOW FOR MEMBERSHIP (IF BOOKS CONTINUE TO BE PRODUCED), AND MAYBE A
CHEAPLY PRODUCED BUT FACTUALLY INFORMATIVE BULLETIN (ALTHOUGH THIS
COULD BE ACCESSED VIA THE WEB PAGE IF IT WOULD SAVE MONEY) WOULD SAVE
MEMBERSHIP LOYALTY.   EXAMINATION AND H/Q TEACHING VISITS COULD THEN
BE LOOKED AT SEPARATELY; FOR US THEY ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.**

IN SUMMARY:  we see it as essential that the Society does all its
house keeping, reorganisation and cost-cutting BEFORE adjusting fees;
if thoroughly done, the increase may well prove to be totally
unnecessary, but if the huge fee increase is introduced first we
suggest that so many members will be lost that recovery might not be
possible and economies of scale no longer be available to the
Society, which in turn might become a small UK organisation only.
--
Angus Henry;  Secretary, NT Branch RSCDS
web site <http://www.octa4.net.au/ahenry/>

Pia Walker

June 24, 2001, 11:02 a.m. (Message 26387, in reply to message 26386)

Well this is one thing you could change -  SCD should be open to anybody,
and then if people so desire and one would hope that the Brances would
recommend it, they could become members of the Branch.    I know that this
is not what is happening in many places, but to me it seem like the reason
why RSCDS is seen as elitist and outdated and why our membership is falling.

3.  We have been a very loyal branch and our constitution requires
that all who dance with us (visitors from interstate or overseas
excepted) are members of the RSCDS.

With regards to bulletins and other "glossies" - It is clearly stated in
them when items of interest should be submitted to be included.  If items or
requests are NOT coming from the Branches, how can you then turn around and
say that they are not containing relevant information, if there is something
you want to see in these, then I suggest that you put that to HQ.   It is
not all branches who have access to the web, and therefore although it
sounds a wonderful idea, you cannot have all information on the web only.

If we don't start looking at the prices realistically, we won't have an
RSCDS to belong to.
RSCDS could do so much more - and much quicker - for SCD all over the world,
if it was allowed the funding.

Regarding the price in overseas money:  How much does a CD cost around the
world?  and how many of you buy the occasional CD or other recorded music
(not necessarily from RSCDS).  The new annual proposed support for the
RSCDS, stands in UK terms as more or less one CD a year.

It is fine to say that it cost the equivalent of 12 dinners, but after all
once they are eaten there is nothing left - with RSCDS you have a chance to
support Scottish Dancing for years to come.

Currently there are well over 2000 people out there from all over the world
who pay £15 (gladly) and get only very little - yet they cannot have a say -
and I would estimate that there are many more who would like to do this,
when RSCDS finds a way to incorporate them in the management system - if all
this doom and gloom is correct, these people will according to your letter
be the saving of RSCDS, not the branches.

To be very nasty and please don't take it personally - it is meant as a
statement to make people think:  Is it the case that Branch members can't or
WON'T support the RSCDS when it is most needed?????  The question is then:
Does the Branches do enough to enlighten their members what it is that RSCDS
stand for.  How many of the Branches have supplied their members with the
RSCDS objectives etc?????  Can the failure of promoting RSCDS not also be
laid at the door of the Branches, giving us the current situation.

Sorry - to be such a wet blanket (I haven't had my morning coffee yet)

Pia
Donning her bullet proof west.
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

June 24, 2001, 2:27 p.m. (Message 26390, in reply to message 26387)

On 24 Jun 2001, at 10:02, Pia Walker wrote:

> Regarding the price in overseas money: <...> The new annual
> proposed support for the RSCDS, stands in UK terms as more or less
> one CD a year.

The question is not whether one can afford one CD per year
(though for some regions and income groups, the cost of a CD is
far from negligible).  The question is if one wishes to pay such
money to the RSCDS if you can dance just as well without.

> <...> Is it the case that Branch members can't or WON'T support
> the RSCDS when it is most needed?????

Why should members of local groups, who are certainly loyal to
that group, feel loyalty to the RSCDS, to which they do not
themselves relate? (Their teacher does, of course). And if a local
group would have to spend say 30 CDs per year for all dancers to
be members of the RSCDS, would they not prefer to spend that
money on more urgent and direct improvements, such as a better
dance hall, dem costumes or extra live music at an event ?

> <...> The question is then: Do the Branches do enough to enlighten
> their members what it is that RSCDS stand for.

I am sure the dancers know that already.  I expect most would
accept to pay a "trivial" fee of say 2 UK pounds (3 Euro) for the
"good cause".  But as soon as the fee becomes a significant
expense, the question "what is in it for me" becomes a deciding
factor.  15 UK pounds is not "trivial".

Happy dancing,

Eric
Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
Mike Briggs

Mike Briggs

June 24, 2001, 4:57 p.m. (Message 26392, in reply to message 26387)

Does anyone know why the RSCDS quit publishing the feature in the
bulletin that had contacts for branches and affiliated groups
worldwide?  Several of our members found it very useful when traveling.

Mike
Norma Briggs              Voice: 608 835 0914
Michael J. Briggs           Fax: 608 835 0924
             BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
1519 Storytown Rd  Oregon WI  53575-2521  USA
       HTTP://BRIGGSLAW.HOMESTEAD.COM
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

June 24, 2001, 10:53 a.m. (Message 26388, in reply to message 26386)

On 24 Jun 2001, at 14:25, Angus Henry wrote:

> <...>  from the <..> NT Branch RSCDS, Darwin, Australia..
>
> <...> However, the proposal to increase fees to £15 first, and then look at
> efficiencies afterwards, is seen as a total reverse of sensible
> management.

and Angus clearly spells out the danger that this may cause a
massive loss of membership.

As I posted earlier:
> Two local affiliated groups with whom I dance have annual
> contributions (all classes but no socials included) of about 90 and
> 60 Euro.

If we include ancillary costs (travel; clothing; drinks; overnight
stays, Balls and Socials; hospitality) one can guesstimate that few
dancers will spend less than 100 Euro / year on their SCD hobby.
Few members of Affiliated Groups are RSCDS members; the same
applies to some Branches.

The proposed RSCDS fee (15 UKL) = would add about 22 Euro.
For those who "just want to dance" in their local and neighbouring
groups (the vast majority) this is an excessive expense, with NO
benefits.  They read no Bulletin, need no books(let)s, don't go to
Summer School, ...   For them the RSCDS is nothing but a distant
organisation, who once trained their teacher, and supplies
unlimited good dances and recordings (via that teacher).  Very few
will accept 20% increase of total costs (and more % increase of
subscription) for nothing extra.   In countries with lower cost of
living (South Africa, Australian NT) the percentage increase will be
even larger.

The RSCDS has some 19 000 members (correct me if needed).
But the total number of RSCDS style dancers must be at least
three times that.  Does anyone have an estimate?

Why does not the RSCDS try the other approach: instead of "high
fees from the few", ask "a small fee from the many".  Management
Committees of Branches and Affiliated Groups know how important
the RSCDS is to them; without the RSCDS they would probably
not even exist.  I expect that every one of them would be quite
prepared to pay let us say 3 % of the annual Branch/Group
turnover (membership fees; admission tickets to events)  to the
RSCDS.  Put that at 3 Euro (2,5 US$, 2 UKL) per dancer per year.
If ALL SC dancers in the world paid that, it would be a significant
"basic" income to the RSCDS (for which hardly any "benefits need
to be supplied), and the dancers would "hardly notice the
difference".

This would in effect eliminate (financially) the difference between
"Branches" and "Affiliated Groups" and within each of these
between "RSCDS Members" and "other members".  Of course
some RSCDS members DO want the "individual advantages", like
the annual book(let), bulletin, Newsletter, etc.  These could then
either become "separate subscriptions". or a "Full Service
Membership" at a higher fee could be created.

For the moment, let us leave out of this discussion the issue of
"voting system / voting rights".  The present issue is: what strategy
does the RSCDS use to keep financially alive.  I am convinced that
the "small fee from many" is a far better solution than the present
proposal.

Happy dancing

Eric
Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 24, 2001, 6:16 p.m. (Message 26394, in reply to message 26388)

While discussing fees, it would be wonderful if a single total annual "per
member" fee could be computed that would include everything required to keep
the organization running.  Right now we tell the dancers that membership
costs $14US per year.  But in truth it doesn't.  There is still the
affiliation fee.  This is a low cost for groups with many members; it is a
huge cost for groups with few members.  For our small group, this adds more
than 1/3 more per member.  If this fee were spread out evenly to all
members, it would be lot easier on the small group.  We are already touch
and go on a year by year basis.  Add a substantial increase to the current
amount and I can assure you our membership will go poof.

There also appears to be hesitation to use the internet to distribute annual
publications.  Every year I hear about how expensive it is for postage, yet
use of the internet as an alternative is rejected.  Why?  If the material
would be made available (pdf format, as done with a recent news article, is
fine) I'm fairly certain a way would be found to get that information to
anyone not owning a computer.  Most of us would simply print a copy and take
it to those dancers.  If the postage could be eliminated, it would be
possible to add features that were dropped, like branch photographs of
events.

I hope the organization is not spending money creating several recordings.
Years ago the RSCDS was about the only group making recordings.  Today that
is hardly the case and not making recordings seems like it would be one
place to save some money.

Dance publications should continue.  I feel it is imperative to continue
having the annual (if at all possible) dance booklet.  Those dances have
gone through the approval process and meet the RSCDS standards.  Could
substantial money be saved making those available via the internet rather
than paying publication and shipping costs?

Is it necessary for the RSCDS to handle items like insurance that benefit
part of the organization and not the entire organization?  Is this insurance
included in everyone's membership fee even though everyone doesn't receive
the benefit?

"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
Martin.Sheffield

Martin.Sheffield

June 25, 2001, 9:29 a.m. (Message 26400, in reply to message 26388)

Eric wrote:

> (...)Branches and Affiliated Groups know how important
>the RSCDS is to them; without the RSCDS they would probably
>not even exist.

Having previously told us, Eric, that you estimated the total number of
dancers to be at least three times the number of society members, you might
have made the opposite argument:
Without the thousands of people that enjoy dancing around the world (and
without the hundreds of group leaders and teachers quietly doing their
work), the RSCDS would not be as large as it is.

While many dancers are not much interested in what goes on in Edinburgh,
every year there are a few that get the bug and decide to become members
and make the investment (not cheap) of a journey to Scotland. If their are
new recruits at summer school, it is thanks to work done at grass roots
level. If the people that we send to St Andrews are pleased with what the
experience, they will continue to pay their membership fees (it happens).
If they are disappointed (it happens), they will certainly not renew RSCDS
membership -- though we can hope that they will continue dancing on their
home territory.

Yes, we are pleased that the RSCDS exists, but, considering the amount of
help we get from headquarters, I can't say that the independent clubs and
classes would cease to exist if the RSCDS disappeared. But there would be
fewer RSCDS members, if we were not working to entertain, recruit, teach
and maintain enthusisam in far-flung outposts.

As for publications, you can get as much reading in "the Reel", published
by dancers in London 4 times a year for £4, as from the one annual bulletin
from Edinburgh.

Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
              (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)
Jack Pollock

Jack Pollock

June 25, 2001, 2:35 p.m. (Message 26405, in reply to message 26400)

Should we perhaps follow the lead of the ancient Romans and appoint a
"Dictator" to sort things out?

They tend to be much more effective than committees ;-)

Jack Pollock
Waynesville, North Carolina, USA
Darla Granberry

Darla Granberry

June 24, 2001, 4:46 p.m. (Message 26391, in reply to message 26386)

I am a long term member of the RSCDS with membership
expiring in 2003.  My membership is held with the
Houston Branch although I live 400 miles away.  As the
instructor of the group I value my membership, but I
have not pushed it with the other dancers in the group
partially for financial reasons (many of my dancers
are students or single income families).  I would be
willing to push an "affiliate" member level that did
not include all the publications to each member.  I
think the suggested rate of the equivalent of 2 pounds
 would be a reasonable rate.  Local branches and
affiliates might consider a small discount for "Card
carrying RSCDS members" for dances.  I do think small
from many will be much better supported than large
from few, but those who direct the individual
 groups must see there is some advantage to mass, low-
cost membership.

Darla Granberry, Lubbock, TX

=====
Duin do bheul agus dannsa.
Marilynn Knight

Marilynn Knight

June 24, 2001, 5:01 p.m. (Message 26393, in reply to message 26386)

Ditto!!  Thanks for asking this, Mike!
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

June 24, 2001, 6:54 p.m. (Message 26396, in reply to message 26386)

Greetings!

If I have understood it correctly, Angus's posting and Eric's comments on it
can be summarised as essentially arguing for what was Option 3 rejected at
the recent Executive Council meeting. It was, of course, the preferred
Option of those who put together the discussion paper.

The rejection by the Executive - your Branch Representatives - means that
only Option 1 which includes a significant fee increase will appear on the
Agenda in November. That is unless some Branch comes up soon with a properly
approved motion which puts it back on that Agenda - there have been some
suggestions that this might happen.

I agree with Angus and Eric that Option 1 will result in a significant loss
of members, particularly overseas. I am even more concerned that we will
find ourselves in November with a "no" vote to Option 1 which, in addition
to delaying correction of the Society's finances, will also have the effect
of rejecting the restructuring of the management which many people agree is
urgently needed. At the end of the day, therefore, this is going to be down
to getting the votes out and making them count. Given the significance of
this AGM, it is vital, IMO, that every Branch ensures that they have
appointed the delegates to which they are entitled and have instructed them
fully in how they wish them to vote on this issue.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

PS There will be plenty of room to dance for all who wish to come to Perth
in November :)
John Fenningworth

John Fenningworth

June 25, 2001, 7:35 p.m. (Message 26411, in reply to message 26396)

The problem here is people are mixing apples and pears

The apples - subscriptions

The subscription will be going up substantially, unless the delegates vote
for something else at the AGM in November since the Society needs money to
do what is being asked to do.

The problem is we were having to guess in April 2001 as to the effect of
increasing subscriptions from July 2002 and knowing that the effect will not
be known until after 30 June 2003 when the full year's effect of the
increase will become apparent.

Two years ago at the May Exec there was a motion for £15.00, but it was
voted out, and there was a motion from the floor at the Nov AGM in the same
year for £12. So it's not new it just takes a while for people to realise
its what is needed to keep the Society going in its current format.

It does not make any difference which option the Executive voted for about
how the new management structure was elected, the subscription increase is
still needed to enable the Society to continue to supply the services that
the Executive say they want.

The pears - options on the future management structure

Option 1 which is the one selected by the Executive, actually has the least
effect on the subscriptions, in that the method of voting does not cost the
Society anything, since delegates to the AGM either pay for themselves, or
are paid for by their branch.

Option 2 made the election process as one member one vote, and that whilst
the ideal would cost the Society more so would actually mean a higher
subscription rate over and above the £15.00 to pay for the postage to cover
the elections, since it means posting to each person directly, NOT via
branches as at present.

Option 3 allowed Branches to have non Society members (Remember the Society
is a registered Charity and the Branches are independent so there are two
"related" bodies involved) which would suit those who just want to dance and
aren't interested in the Society and it's charitable objects.
The effect on the Society would mean fewer members, and some lower costs,
but an additional increase in the subscription over and above the £15.00.

It will  be a long AGM

John Fenningworth
Priscilla M. Burrage

Priscilla M. Burrage

June 26, 2001, 2:24 p.m. (Message 26420, in reply to message 26411)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Fenningworth wrote an comprehensible discussion
of our current concerns:

I only want to make one point:

> It does not make any difference which option the Executive voted for about
> how the new management structure was elected, the subscription increase is
> still needed to enable the Society to continue to supply the services that
> the Executive say they want.

I feel less concern in paying about the same amount to another society.
Why?  They have demonstrated concern for their administrative costs by
moving out of a high-rent city to a small town.  The first apparent effect
of the move was to separate, physically, the local (city) branch from the
national society.  A side effect of their move was to find a cheaper,
brighter,  wooden floor dance hall to use for national-group sponsored
dances.  A third effect, not analyzed by Hdqtrs as far as I know, was to
retain their subscription members, and indeed, too see the membership
grow.

I don't know if this analogy applies to the RSCDS.  But I should be told.

Member since 1957;  member how much much longer?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage       Vermont US
(xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx)
Oberdan Otto

Oberdan Otto

June 27, 2001, 7:34 a.m. (Message 26445, in reply to message 26411)

>The problem here is people are mixing apples and pears

PEARS??? What happened to the oranges?

Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
SallenNic

SallenNic

June 25, 2001, 10:42 a.m. (Message 26401, in reply to message 26386)

EFDSS subscription stands at £26.00 p.a.
                            Nicolas B., Lanark, Scotland.
mlbrown

mlbrown

June 24, 2001, 11:31 p.m. (Message 26403, in reply to message 26386)

Jim says that the ideas being put forward sound like option 3 - but option 3
included the proposal that the keen enthusiastic RSCDS supporters pay even
more than the proposed £15 to continue with the current level of service,
while even those who wanted a low cost version would pay £4 or £5 just for
being a member of the Society and getting nothing in return (plus of course
they would have to pay whatever their local branch admin fee was) - my
attitude to the high cost membership was similar to Angus' reaction to the
£15 increase - no-one would pay it, and the lo-cost version didn't sound
like much a deal either!

The proposals that will go forward to the AGM from the Exec are
1) that the subs be increased to £15
2) the option 1 re-organisation (with its smaller management structure)

There is no reason why the first proposal cannot be rejected and the second
approved.

I was interested to read the suggestions for cost saving - but I think we
are trying to find solutions to other people's problems.  We have a Finance
committee and an Exec Council, but the Finance committee only seems to point
out the consequences of undertaking all the various activities which are
approved by the Council.  The suggested increase in subscriptions is a
consequence of trying to do too much, and the option of delaying some
projects is never seriously considered by the Council (apart from anything
else it is too unwieldy for such discussions).  There are several possible
solutions to the current situation where Income appears to be less that
Expenditure   - reduce the expenditure, either by finding more cost
effective ways of doing the same things, or by reducing the number of things
we do,  -  or increasing income either from supporters by raising
subscriptions, or by some other means such as organising profit making
events (i.e. obtaing income from the non dancing public!), ---- or we could
even just run at a controlled deficit for quite a number of years!

The only solution which is ever proposed is to increase subs!

Malcolm
SallenNic

SallenNic

June 25, 2001, 2:28 p.m. (Message 26404, in reply to message 26386)

In a message dated 25/6/01 10:51:59 am, x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

>Dear Nicolas,
>On 25 Jun 2001, at 4:42, xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

>> EFDSS subscription stands at £26.00 p.a.

>The issue is not total cost, but how much you have to pay to HQ
>over and above the fee needed to keep the local group running, and
>what you get from it?
>Can you please explain on the List what members get for the 26
>pounds?
>Eric
>Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
>tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx

Our organization is different, in that we no longer run local groups from the
centre - they are run autonomously and independently.
Those who choose to belong to the Society pay £26.00, and for that they
receive four quarterly issues of English Dance and Song (glossy coloured
magazine, A4 and approximately 40 pages) inside which is a 4-page in-house
produced Newsletter; The Folk Journal (annual scholarly A5 publication
running to approximately 150 pages); free access to the Vaughan Williams
Memorial Library, and discounted entry to many events at Cecil Sharp House
and elsewhere round the country.
    There is a further category, which is Affiliation (of groups), where the
publications are supplied as to an individual, and in addition the Society
offers Public Liability Insurance cover at no cost to the Affiliate. The
Affiliate subscription is £35.00 (from memory, which might be a pound out!)
                                                        Nicolas B., Lanark,
Scotland.
Lydia  Hedge

Lydia Hedge

June 25, 2001, 2:49 p.m. (Message 26406, in reply to message 26386)

VERY well spake, Angus. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

The Nova Scotia Branch has already had to change its constitution
to allow non-RSCDS members to dance. Even without the raised
fees!!

Lydia
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 25, 2001, 2:55 p.m. (Message 26408, in reply to message 26406)

One area that could use a bit of improvement (and that might even bring in a
buck or two) is my perceived(?) contradiction where kids are concerned.  We
say we want them but we can't just say "pay your dues" and "here's your
card" along with everyone else.  They end up feeling like non-members --
which I guess they are.  Why?  Other organizations seem to give kids (full)
membership even if they aren't old enough to vote, hold office, etc.
"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

June 27, 2001, 12:47 a.m. (Message 26430, in reply to message 26406)

G'Day, Lydia,

Have you looked at the License agreement? As I read it, the licensee must
pay a capitation fee for every member of the licensed organisation. If you
do not, then your Branch no longer holds a license.

I think that one initial solution is to vary the license agreement to permit
all Branches to do what the Nova Scotia Branch has done. I had been thinking
of raising this issue before Lydia did so. Sydney Branch Committee members
have already raised the principal concerns raised by Angus and others prior
to the meeting which selected option 1. We couldn't prepare a proper
submission as there wasn't time to do so, but we made our concerns known; it
had no effect!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia.
Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

June 27, 2001, 1:09 a.m. (Message 26434, in reply to message 26430)

Brian,

The license may require that "the licensee pay a capitation fee for
every member of the licensed organisation," but it doesn't require
that everyone who attends a class must be a member. Although we are an
affiliate and not subject to the license, the Austin group separates
membership from class participation and fees. Members get a discount
on class fees.

-- Tim Harrison
-- Austin, Texas
Peter Hastings

Peter Hastings

June 25, 2001, 2:45 p.m. (Message 26407, in reply to message 26386)

> Should we perhaps follow the lead of the ancient Romans and appoint a
> "Dictator" to sort things out?

> They tend to be much more effective than committees ;-)

A dictatorial approach might not be suitable in a country which stated in
1320* what the limits of executive power were to be.

Besides, effectiveness is no longer a valid criterion - what we should be
striving for is consensus, ownership and resolution.

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)

*	for those unused to the 24 hour clock, 1320 is just after lunch...
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 25, 2001, 2:56 p.m. (Message 26409, in reply to message 26407)

huh?
"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

June 25, 2001, 7:52 p.m. (Message 26412, in reply to message 26386)

And how many need the RSCDS to dance? One doesn't NEED to be a member
of the Sons of the American Revolution because one is descended from a
Revolutionary soldier. One doesn't NEED to be a member of any
equestrian society to ride horses. Etc., etc. Dues increases will,
after a certain point, start making many members depart. Same
principle as the Laffer curve.
John W. Southcombe

John W. Southcombe

June 26, 2001, 5:29 p.m. (Message 26428, in reply to message 26412)

A comment on the below.

Everything has a useful life, and dies.

Has the RCSDS completed its useful life????

Bye

At 01:52 PM 6/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>And how many need the RSCDS to dance?

>One doesn't NEED to be a member of the Sons of the
>American Revolution because one is descended from
>a Revolutionary soldier.

>One doesn't NEED to be a member of any equestrian
>society to ride horses. Etc., etc. Dues increases will,
>after a certain point, start making many members depart.

>Same principle as the Laffer curve.
Peter Hastings

Peter Hastings

June 26, 2001, 1:44 p.m. (Message 26418, in reply to message 26386)

> how many need the RSCDS to dance?

None

	How many need the RSCDS to do RSCDS-style SCD ?

Historically - all

Short-term - none

Long-term - all

The absence of the RSCDS (or a similar co-ordinating body) will lead to the
fragmentation and localisation of our pastime, but it won't happen quickly
so we don't need to worry about it...

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

June 26, 2001, 3:06 p.m. (Message 26422, in reply to message 26386)

In a message dated Tue, 26 Jun 2001  7:45:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Peter Hastings <xxx@xxx.xx.xx> writes:

The absence of the RSCDS (or a similar co-ordinating body) will lead to the
fragmentation and localisation of our pastime, but it won't happen quickly
so we don't need to worry about it...

--- Hasn't there traditionally been localised forms of country dance?
That was certainly true of highland dance until some group decided
they wanted to standardize highland dance for competition purposes.
There is something to be said for that so everyone is competing on the
same scale. But outside of competition, if I do my highcuts
differently than someone else, no one probably cares.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 26, 2001, 11:47 p.m. (Message 26427, in reply to message 26422)

xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

> --- Hasn't there traditionally been localised forms of country dance?
> That was certainly true of highland dance until some group decided they
> wanted to standardize highland dance for competition purposes. There is
> something to be said for that so everyone is competing on the same
> scale. But outside of competition, if I do my highcuts differently than
> someone else, no one probably cares.

That's fine if you're a highland dancer. The point of highland dancing,
after all, is making a spectacle of oneself (only), and who cares about
all the others on the stage?

Scottish country dancing as a *social* pastime had had local variations
for a couple of centuries, and see where that got it -- it was only
after the (R)SCDS was established and the dances and dancing were
standardized that SCD really took off as an international thing. There
are more Scottish country dancers today than there ever were when `local
variations' were the done thing. And I personally happen to think that
it is probably the greatest asset of the Scottish country dance scene
that I can go from Frankfurt to Edinburgh, Boston, Cape Town, Tokyo or
Melbourne and expect everybody to dance the figures the way I do, which
means I can join in instantly without having to figure out all the
`local variations' first. Compare that to, say, international folk
dancing, where teacher A will gladly tell you X and teacher B Y (the
direct opposite), and they will both claim that their way of doing
things is the One True Way, or with (contemporary) ballroom dancing,
where you can count yourself lucky (or very able indeed) if you can
manage to strut your fancy stuff with anyone other than your designated
partner that you have been practising together with for month.

Being able to dance socially, from the word go, anywhere in the world
with people from all over the world is the true legacy of the founders
of the RSCDS and not something to be thrown away at all lightly, for the
sake of a few quid a year.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied on to do, and that is to

Martin.Sheffield

June 27, 2001, 12:45 a.m. (Message 26433, in reply to message 26427)

Anselm wrote:
>it is probably the greatest asset of the Scottish country dance scene
>that I can go from Frankfurt to  ... Melbourne (and) I can join in
instantly ...

>Being able to dance socially anywhere in the world
>with people from all over the world is the true legacy of the founders
>of the RSCDS and not something to be thrown away at all lightly...

Very true (it's no fun at all ballroom dancing or folk dancing with peoople
that have learnt a different style).

But a strange comment from someone living in a country where most of the
groups seem to be flourishing quite independently of Headquarters. The
enthusiasm in Germany is such that we can easily more information of dance
events around Europe than we ever get from Coates Crescent.

In what way does the RSCDS encourage its members to attend events outside
of Scotland?
Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
              (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 27, 2001, 1:19 a.m. (Message 26435, in reply to message 26433)

The web site at URL:
http://www.rscds.org/
has a pretty good list of branch addresses, branch contacts and world-wide
dance events in addition to the usual resources.
"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
adriana linden

adriana linden

June 27, 2001, 1:35 a.m. (Message 26436, in reply to message 26435)

BUT, the website fails to list affiliated groups... you must contact them
directly to get that information, and I think that this is not in the best
interests of spreading the word, and being inclusive ...

Adriana Linden
Montreal, QC Canada
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 27, 2001, 5:24 a.m. (Message 26439, in reply to message 26436)

It is more than they had a couple years ago.  Improvements come one step at
a time.  Right now they have country vs. branch information.  Now they can
add branch information vs. affiliated group information.  Relational
information like this is not a piece of cake to toss together on a web site.
I'm glad to see them working on it.

For now, the InterCity Scot site at URL:
http://members.tripod.com/~InterCityScot/
does a good job for Canada and the US, and the links at URL:
http://www.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/strathspey/groups.html
help to provide contact information at many other locations.

"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

June 27, 2001, 7:52 a.m. (Message 26444, in reply to message 26435)

On 26 Jun 2001, at 18:19, Richard L Walker wrote:

> The web site at URL:
> http://www.rscds.org/
> has a pretty good list of branch addresses, branch contacts and
> world-wide dance events in addition to the usual resources.

If you travel, you need to know ALL places where there is dancing,
not just the few that happen to be a Branch.  What is the good - for
example - of knowing all the Branch addresses in Germany (zero),
when there are 9 Affiliated Groups, and in all 63 active SCD
groups?  Fortunately RSCDS.org now has link to the Celtic Circle
site, which gives nearly complete information on events and groups
in Continental Europe.

All ideas on how the RSCDS could better use its website to the
benefit of SCD world wide certainly deserve attention.

Who has suggestions?.

Eric

Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
Oberdan Otto

Oberdan Otto

June 27, 2001, 8:18 a.m. (Message 26446, in reply to message 26427)

>... or with (contemporary) ballroom dancing,
>where you can count yourself lucky (or very able indeed) if you can
>manage to strut your fancy stuff with anyone other than your designated
>partner that you have been practising together with for month...

While I believe Anselm's remarks are quite on the mark, and although
I do not which to seem "disloyal" toward SCD...if you are so lucky as
to have a regular partner with whom to develop and match couple
dancing skills, the payback for "oneness in movement" is much more
frequent and of greater intensity than is possible in SCD. The reason
is simple: it is FAR more difficult to get 6 or 8 people who dance
together occasionally to move in a coordinated unison than for two
people who dance together regularly. AND there is a couple-dancing
subculture analagous to SCD called Round Dancing which is available
throughout the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
Like SCD, the dances are pre-choreographed to specified music so that
changing partners is quite feasible if you are so inclined.

Back to the original thread: I do hope the RSCDS does not shoot
itself in the foot with overly aggressive subscription rates and
organizational changes. I am certain that the proposed changes are
well intentioned and I hope that the crystal balls of those proposing
them are much clearer than mine. A major factor affecting membership
in the RSCDS is that people DO have other choices for how to spend
their time. How do we get them to choose SCD?

Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

June 27, 2001, 2:13 p.m. (Message 26462, in reply to message 26386)

Eric was kind enough to remind me that the link mentioned in

><...> the links at URL:
> http://www.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/strathspey/groups.html
> help to provide contact information at many other locations.

should now be:

http://www.strathspey.org/groups

"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
Gayle Hoepner

Gayle Hoepner

June 27, 2001, 6:50 p.m. (Message 26472, in reply to message 26386)

> From: Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
> To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
>

> Being able to dance socially, from the word go, anywhere in the world
> with people from all over the world is the true legacy of the founders
> of the RSCDS and not something to be thrown away at all lightly, for the
> sake of a few quid a year.
>
> Anselm

Well put, Anselm.  Speaking from personal experience, mine, and others
in our group in Central Iowa, USA.  In our collective experiences, we
have danced in Yemen, Kenya, Germany, Scotland, Australia, Canada,
England and Japan as well as all over the United States.  Here in
Central Iowa, we've had dancers join us from Scotland, England,
Canada, Belgium, Hungary and Japan, and several areas
of the United States.

When friends and I have gone to other countries to live for extended
periods of time, the first thing we did was to locate the nearest
Scottish dance group - aided by the RSCDS Bulletin.   The various
groups we danced with not only enabled us to continue dancing in a
faraway place, we also made new friends.  And friends is really one of
the most important reasons we do this.

All this would not have been possible without the RSCDS.

Gayle Hoepner
Ames, Iowa  USA
Fiona

Fiona

July 4, 2001, 1:43 p.m. (Message 26594, in reply to message 26386)

Following an SGM of the branch, the following motion is put forward to the
Society AGM:

"That Bristol Branch of the RSCDS proposes that this AGM approves such
amendments to the Constitution and Rules of the Society as will enable
implementation of the following principles concerning the Management and
Membership of the Society:

1          That the present management structure of the RSCDS is replaced by
a Management Board and other Committees as described in the report of the
General Purposes Committee presented to the Executive Council on 12 May
2001.

2          That Membership of the Society may be as a Member at HQ and/or of
a Branch/Local Association.

3          (a) That every fully paid up Member of the RSCDS at HQ shall have
the right to vote at General Meetings, and to elect such Members to the
Management Board and Standing Committees of the Society at HQ;
(b) That a Branch Convention be convened annually to provide a forum for
Branch members to discuss issues affecting the Branches and put forward
proposals to the Management Board of the Society at HQ.

4          That all Members of the Society at HQ should pay their
subscriptions direct to HQ, and all Branches/Local Associations should make
an annual donation to HQ proportionate to the numbers of Branch/Local
Association members which they have (exclusive of Members at HQ), the annual
subscription and donation amounts to be set by the Society at HQ AGM.

Comments derisory or supportive welcome, especially constructive amendment.

Fiona Grant
RSCDS Bristol Exec Council Rep.
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

July 5, 2001, 3:01 p.m. (Message 26630, in reply to message 26594)

On 4 Jul 2001, at 12:43, Fiona wrote:

> <...> the following motion is put forward <...> "That Bristol
> Branch <...>

> 1          <...>     [no comment]

> 2          That Membership of the Society may be as a Member at HQ
> and/or of a Branch/Local Association.

> 4. <...> all Branches/Local Associations should make an annual
> donation to HQ proportionate to the numbers of Branch/Local
> Association members which they have (exclusive of Members at
> HQ), <...>

This is not clear.  Will ALL members of Branches and LAs
automatically be members of the RSCDS, or can each Br / LAs
also have members who are not RSCDS members?  Clarification is
needed; otherwise muddled discussions will arise.  As this is  not
a modification (which would need an amendment) HQ might be
happy to append an addendum to the text to be circulated in the
Provisional Agenda.

> 3          (a) That every fully paid up Member of the RSCDS at HQ
> shall have the right to vote at General Meetings, and to elect such
> Members to the Management Board and Standing Committees of the Society
> at HQ; (b) That a Branch Convention <...> .

Members living close by can attend the AGM much more easily.  If
it is "one member present, one vote", this rule would largely
disenfranchise members living overseas.  If that is not your
intention, please amend your motion to clarify..

> 4          That all Members of the Society at HQ should pay their
> subscriptions direct to HQ,

International payments carry horrendous bank costs, and handling
all these individual payments places a heavy load on (salaried) HQ
staff.  What is wrong with channelling such payments via some
local Branch / LA in the member's country?

Happy dancing,

Eric
Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

July 5, 2001, 4:53 p.m. (Message 26634, in reply to message 26630)

As a Bristol Committee member involved in the drafting of the proposals, I
am not sure of the correctness of RSCDS business being aired in detail on a
non-RSCDS forum, however RSCDS-orientated it may be.
However, as it is now in the public arena, may I quote part of the preamble
which has been sent to the Secretary with our Motion, and hopefully provide
some clarification:

"The philosophy which underlies our approach is to ensure that all eligible
people who wish to be regarded as subscribing members of the RSCDS may be
so, making payment for membership in accordance with their level of interest
and/or means. The main issue is that all members will be eligible to apply
for places at the Schools and purchase Society publications, recordings,
accessories etc at members' discount without distinction, as they all
support the Society. The principal difference will be that rights to vote
for and participate in the management of the Society will only attach to
those subscribing as Members of the Society at HQ. Such Members may, in
addition, choose to be members of a Branch as well as HQ Members.

There is some concern that Branches will feel the loss of their Branch
Representatives, resulting in a lessening in the relationship between
Branches and HQ. The reality of the structure now is such that the Branches
are legally separate bodies. In recognition of that independence it is
proposed that there is no mandatory requirement for any member of a Branch
to also be a Member of the Society at HQ. In order to maintain the
relationship between Branches and Society HQ it is proposed there will be a
Branch Convention, which members of Branches may attend. "

Accompanying the submission was a copy of the Constitution and Rules amended
to show ( subject to final review by the Constitution sub-committee) the
changes felt necessary to implement our proposals.

On the subject of membership, we see that our proposal gives 2 routes to
membership of the RSCDS. We see that all members of a Branch will be members
of the RSCDS by definition. A Branch/LA will not therefore have non-RSCDS
members. I believe that there may be some misunderstanding here, because
apparently under the present arrangements some Branches have made membership
compulsory if one wishes to attend the Branch class(es). In Bristol one does
not have to be a RSCDS member to attend our classes, but the class fee is
higher for non- members. We are not saying that you have to be a Branch
member to dance with a Branch. That is a policy matter for each Branch to
decide for itself.

In the "Constitution and Rules" changes we have written in that there will
be postal/proxy voting, (and increased the notice time for  Agendas, motions
etc to 21 days from 14) so that all those who elect to become Members of the
Society at HQ are not disenfranchised on grounds of distance. This mechanism
is implicit in our proposal that "every fully paid up Member of the RSCDS at
HQ shall have
the right to vote at General Meetings".(C.f. Shareholders of large companies
do not all attend the AGMs , but they can still exercise their vote in
absentia, if they so choose.)

On the question of international banking charges, I can make no comment,
other than presumably some of the existing HQ members live outwith the UK,
so it may be managed at present, but I agree that we do not know at what
cost.

I understood that some of the problems were down to Branches not
communicating effectively with their membership, as I was previously
advocating the Branches being used as a conduit as much as possible.
However, I do not see a problem, if international money transfer is proving
expensive, of some accommodation being reached with the Branches to collect
and forward the subscriptions of those Members of the Society at HQ who
would like to use that route. Even if there is a legal separation between HQ
and branches, I do not see that stopping us working together, because of the
unity of the RSCDS is the underlying principle.

Sorry about the length - I hope it has been helpful.

Andrew.
Fiona

Fiona

July 4, 2001, 1:54 p.m. (Message 26597, in reply to message 26386)

Back to reform of the Society committee structure:

To provide clear strategic direction, how many members should sit on the
proposed Management Board? How many would be too many?

As there is a division of opinion on this crucial matter, I'd be interested
in strathspey readers opinions.

Or let your branch delegate know!!

Fiona
RSCDS Bristol
John Sturrock

John Sturrock

July 6, 2001, 11:54 p.m. (Message 26666, in reply to message 26597)

Fiona wrote :-

> To provide clear strategic direction, how many members should sit on
> the proposed Management Board?  How many would be too many?
>
> As there is a division of opinion on this crucial matter, I'd be
interested
> in strathspey readers opinions.

and, rather surprisingly, there has been no reply so far.

C. Northcote Parkinson considered this very question in the 1950s.   I have
searched my house for chapter and verse, found two of his books, but not the
one containing this.   Has anyone else got a copy ?   From memory, he
concluded that Deliberative bodies became decreasingly effective as the
number of members increased beyond eight.

Based on this, the Publications, Examinations, Summer School, Etc,
Committees are all about the right size.  Eight might be considered rather
small for a Board of Management, limiting the range of opinion, but at the
same time, if Parkinson is right, every extra member will decrease the
effectiveness of their discussions.

John Sturrock
Cambridge UK
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

July 6, 2001, 5:55 p.m. (Message 26668, in reply to message 26666)

G'Day, All,

To lighten the conversation, my understanding of the ideal number for a
Committee is 3, one sick, one on leave and one to make the decisions!!

Practically, the best number appears to be either 7 or 9.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

July 5, 2001, 12:52 a.m. (Message 26607, in reply to message 26386)

In a message dated 07/04/2001 7:57:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx writes:
> Back to reform of the Society committee structure:
>
> To provide clear strategic direction, how many members should sit on the
> proposed Management Board? How many would be too many?

Fiona,

Whatever number is chosen, one of the key aims should be to ensure that a
wide a variety of opinion is represented on the Management Board. A larger
number of members might help achieve this, but not necessarily.  The WAY in
which the members are elected also counts.  How can we ensure the greatest
diversity?

I have taken a quick look at the Management and Membership proposals, and at
the Constitution, but I cannot tell how the voting would be done. As a quick
reaction, I would think that a system that caters to minority interests such
as a single round of voting from a single list would be desirable.

Chris.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

July 5, 2001, 4:19 p.m. (Message 26635, in reply to message 26386)

Eric Ferguson <x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx> writes:

> > 4          That all Members of the Society at HQ should pay their
> > subscriptions direct to HQ,
>
> International payments carry horrendous bank costs, and handling
> all these individual payments places a heavy load on (salaried) HQ
> staff.  What is wrong with channelling such payments via some
> local Branch / LA in the member's country?

This is an eminently sensible idea, and indeed I think that is what
happens today. We have a bunch of HQ members in our club (which is
affiliated with the RSCDS), and every year our secretary collects the
money from the annual members and transfers it to HQ in one go.
Everything else would be what in computer science we call a WOMBAT¹.

Anselm

¹ Waste Of Money, Brains And Time.
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.