Melodians and button accordions

Mcgarrity

July 4, 1995, 9:13 p.m. (Message 2101)

Now *I'm* curious -- is a melodian the same (or roughly the same)
as a concertina?  Anyway, both get different notes with the same
button, depending on whether the bellows are being pushed or
pulled?  When I've watched/listened to these instruments, they
certainly seem to me to be just plain harder to maneuver.

I used to know a contra dance musician, though, who played the
*button accordion* (actually plural, because they come in various
keys, and (I think) don't allow any accidentals), and he was great
at playing all kinds of fast reels.  I have no idea how the buttons
are actually arranged, or what kind of a challenge various note
configurations present.
Thanks for any information.
Kim McGarrity
xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx
Palo Alto, CA
Ian Brockbank, DEC Livingston

Ian Brockbank, DEC Livingston

July 5, 1995, 11:57 a.m. (Message 2105, in reply to message 2101)

Hi all,

the accordionist of a norwegian dance group who came to the Dunedin Festival the
year before lasthad an accordion wher, instead of the piano keyboard he had six
rows of buttons, laid out similarly to the chord buttons for the left hand (on
both sorts).  The way the right hand buttons were laid out meant that all the
notes you were likely to need were together, which would allow for easier,
quicker playing if you can master the layout, I would imagine, but would mean
you had to learn a new layout and couldn't just apply your knowledge of the
piano.

I don't know if this is what other people are meaning by a button accordion, but
it seems to fit the bill.  As far as I could tell, it was identical to a piano
accordion as sported by, say, Sandy Nixon, or Iain MacPhail in all respects
instead of the right hand key layout.

Ian

xxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Edinburgh
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

July 5, 1995, 12:33 p.m. (Message 2106, in reply to message 2105)

Ian Brockbank <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx> writes:

> As far as I could tell, it was identical to a piano
> accordion as sported by, say, Sandy Nixon, or Iain MacPhail in all respects
> instead of the right hand key layout.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. It is definitely not diatonic, and the
notes don't depend on the direction the bellows is moved in.

A concertina is smallish and (usually) octogonal in cross-section, I think.
To complicate matters further, there are basically two types of concertina,
one diatonic (no `black keys') and one chromatic. I think concertinas don't
have preprogrammed chords the way accordions do. They are sort-of glorified
mouth organs.

A melodeon is definitely bigger than a concertina but smaller than a
full-size accordion. The one I'm just thinking of has about two rows of
buttons for the right hand and a small number (eight or so?) buttons for
the left hand.

Then there's the button accordion Ian and I have been talking about, and
the piano accordion. The biography of Iain MacPhail that I have says that
he started out on the button accordion but went over to the piano accordion
because he moved away and there was no teacher to be found.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ......................... xxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
If your users expect new functionality can always be magically added to old

Bell Alan

July 5, 1995, 1 p.m. (Message 2108, in reply to message 2101)

I got into dancing through being an accordionist, although I now consider
myserf a dancer who can play (far too occasionally :) rather than vice
versa.
I play piano accordion but my fathers family all play boxes of some variety
so I felt qualified to contribute here.

My assessment:

Piano accordion - we all know about these wonderful instruments

diatonic, melodeon, three-row button-key:
This is played using only four fingers of the right hand, the thumb being
held behind the keyboard. I get the impression that this makes those reels
with long fast runs (typical MacPhail or Nixon compositions) quite
difficult. The three-row does seem idealy suited to playing pipe marches and
tunes of that type. Listen to an old Jimmy Shand recording.

Continental chromatic, five-row button-key:
My uncle plays one of these and the main advantages seem to be that with the
same note appearing multiple times on the keyboard, those awkward stretches
disappear.
The key arrangement means that to change key one simply moves up or down the
keyboard and plays the same key pattern. This makes the chromatic a good
second box instrument. Unfortunately, when I played second (piano) accordion
with my uncle's band we invariably ended up playing in e-flat or some such
awkward key because 'it sounds better' and made no difference to him.
These do seem to be popular in europe, especially scandinavia. The only well
known player I can think of is Calum MacLean (& Jimmy Shand jr. ?)

Alan Bell
Oxford, UK
xxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

July 5, 1995, 3:08 p.m. (Message 2110, in reply to message 2101)

Kim McGarrity asks about button accordions and melodeons.  Here's what I
know.
Button boxes/melodeons are diatonic, that is you pull the bellows to get one
note and push it to get another, all the while depressing the same button.
 They come in 1, 2 and rarely 3 rows of buttons.  The 1 row is just one key,
the 2 row is 2 keys.  The range is just an octave.  They are mostly used for
Morris dancing, Cajun music and Quebecois music.  They provide a punchy,
percussive sound because of the in and out of the bellows and are ususlly
tuned in a musette style which gives them that wet, beating tone.
Certain ornaments are very easy.
They became popular in the US in the mid to late 70's.
Concertinas are a whole different genre and I'm less familiar, but I can say
that there are 2 styles, the Anglo and English.  One is diatonic (push-pull)
and the other is chromatic (same tone whether you are pushing or pulling).
 Again they have somewhat limited range and generally less volume than a
piano accordion.
And while we are on the subject of reeded, bellows driven instruments, there
are also accordions that have buttons, are chromatic, and are popular in
Europe but not well known in the US.
Have I overloaded you all with information?
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH
Andrew J. Smith

Andrew J. Smith

July 6, 1995, 4:27 p.m. (Message 2115, in reply to message 2101)

We're basically discussing three different instruments here.  Piano
accordions, melodeons (or button accordions) and concertinas.

Warning: I do not play any of these so I'm writing from book knowledge,
not experience.

Piano Accordion: probably the one we're most familiar with.  Piano type
keyboard on the right, buttons on the left for bass notes.  Tune played
with right hand, chords with the left. Fully chromatic.

Melodeon (also called button accordion): Somewhat similar, but no piano
keyboard, just buttons on both the right and left.  Many models are
diatonic, i.e. tuned to one scale, so that no accidentals are possible.
There are also chromatic models available, which my helpful information
source suggests is to be preferred for Irish and Scottish music.  Still
some limitations arising from limited number of bass notes in left hand.
(Shape is still the box-like accordion, but mostly smaller than the piano
accordion.)

Concertina: 6, 8 or 12 sided squeeze-box, with buttons at each end.
Anglo system: like a harmonica, there are different notes on the push and
the pull.  High notes on the right hand side, low notes on the left.
Diatonic (i.e. not fully chromatic).

English system: same on note on both push and pull.  Fully chromatic.
Scale alternates between ends, so its easier to play fast runs.

Duet system: like English system, the same not plays in each direction,
but like Anglo system, the high notes are on the right, low notes on the
left.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Andrew Smith

Message from: