Alexandre Rafalovitch

Re: Too Many Rules? (was Eccles Rant - No Answers?)

Feb. 2, 2006, 9:05 p.m. (Message 44056, in reply to message 44052)

On 2/2/06, xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx <xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:

> I'm inclined to think that many of  us have graivitated to this style because
> we like the order and precision.   Isn't this why so many dancers in our
> style are librarians, accountants,  engineers, mathematicians, etc.?

I just wrote about it couple of days ago on my own blog at:
http://alwayslearning.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/why-scottish-country-
dancing-appeals-to-the-programmers/

I think it is important to not give too much hassle to newbies who are
still learning to to just get through the formation without tripping
everybody else. Needing to remember reel of 3 accross as 7 different
moves is so much already, that I am not going to also remember stay
behind and hold hands up when I am in a middle of advance and retire.

Once they have that chunked and they have memorized the base
formations, other things could be reinforced.

Regards,
   Alex.