The Breakdown

L. Friedman-Shedlov

June 23, 2006, 5:28 a.m. (Message 45642)

I am familiar with and have instructions for a dance called "The
Breakdown," devised by John Mitchell and published in the Whetherly Book
4.  This dance is definitely a 3-couple set dance with a rather clever
progression to get 1st couple to the bottom.

I also have Lyle Ramshaw, Susan Worland Bentley, and Michael Bentley's CD
of the same name. On this CD, the track for "The Breakdown" is an 8x32
Reel, rather than 3x32.  I checked in DanceData, and the dance is
also listed there as a 3-couple dance to be done in a 4-couple set.

Can someone explain this discrepancy to me?  Has the dance somehow changed
since it was first published?  How did it go from being a set dance to a
standard progression?

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

June 23, 2006, 8:55 a.m. (Message 45643, in reply to message 45642)

On 23/06/2006 05:28, L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> I am familiar with and have instructions for a dance called "The
> Breakdown," devised by John Mitchell and published in the Whetherly Book
> 4.  This dance is definitely a 3-couple set dance with a rather clever
> progression to get 1st couple to the bottom.
>
> I also have Lyle Ramshaw, Susan Worland Bentley, and Michael Bentley's
> CD of the same name. On this CD, the track for "The Breakdown" is an
> 8x32 Reel, rather than 3x32.  I checked in DanceData, and the dance is
> also listed there as a 3-couple dance to be done in a 4-couple set.
>
> Can someone explain this discrepancy to me?  Has the dance somehow
> changed since it was first published?  How did it go from being a set
> dance to a standard progression?

"Easy one" I thought. Having the complete collection of John Mitchell's
works in my cellar it should be no problem to nip down and have a look.
Would you believe it! Book 4 has inexplicably vanished. Gone! No idea where.

So I'll have to be patient and wait for someone else to reply.

Alan
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

June 23, 2006, 10:25 a.m. (Message 45644, in reply to message 45643)

The instructions are as stated (by Lara) in my copy of Book 4, with 1st
couple finishing in third place, 3rd couple in second place and 2nd  couple
in first place ready for
"Repeat with new top couple"
Definitely a three couple set dance.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton Scotland
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

June 23, 2006, 4:41 p.m. (Message 45648, in reply to message 45642)

If nobody else provides an explanation I'll ask those guys why they chose 8x
for their recording. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

July 13, 2006, 5:14 p.m. (Message 45782, in reply to message 45648)

Old topic, but I finally heard back from Susan (who has been having e-mail
problems) regarding their 8x recording for The Breakdown.  She says that it
was an oversight on Jennifer Kelly's part when planning the recording, which
nobody caught until the first time Jennifer taught the dance to it!  D'oh!
 Great music, though; we use it frequently for other things. -Steve
Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

June 25, 2006, 9:45 p.m. (Message 45655, in reply to message 45642)

But The Breakdown isn't just a (to many people) obscure Whetherly
dance, but is a terrific tune suitable for, among other dances, The
Falls of Rogie - a rather less obscure 8x32 reel. I'm a big fan of
both the (latter) dance and the recording.
Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

Lara wrote:
"I am familiar with and have instructions for a dance called "The
Breakdown," devised by John Mitchell and published in the Whetherly Book
4. This dance is definitely a 3-couple set dance with a rather clever
progression to get 1st couple to the bottom.

"I also have Lyle Ramshaw, Susan Worland Bentley, and Michael Bentley's CD
of the same name. On this CD, the track for "The Breakdown" is an 8x32
Reel, rather than 3x32. I checked in DanceData, and the dance is
also listed there as a 3-couple dance to be done in a 4-couple set.

"Can someone explain this discrepancy to me? Has the dance somehow changed
since it was first published? How did it go from being a set dance to a
standard progression?"
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

June 26, 2006, 5:59 a.m. (Message 45656, in reply to message 45655)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Becky Sager wrote:
> But The Breakdown isn't just a (to many people) obscure Whetherly
> dance, but is a terrific tune suitable for, among other dances, The
> Falls of Rogie - a rather less obscure 8x32 reel. I'm a big fan of both
> the (latter) dance and the recording.

Well, "The Breakdown" *shouldn't* be an obscure dance -- it's really fun!
Anyway, usually on an CD of SCD tunes, the tracks are listed by the name
of the dance, rather than by the name of the tune, so I assumed the track
titled "The Breakdown" was meant for the dance of the same name.
Also, I'm still wondering why DanceData lists the dance as an 8x32.  Is
that just an error based on the fact that there is an 8x32 recording of
the tune?

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

June 26, 2006, 8:23 a.m. (Message 45657, in reply to message 45656)

On 26/06/2006 05:59, L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> Also, I'm still wondering why DanceData lists the dance as an 8x32.  Is
> that just an error based on the fact that there is an 8x32 recording of
> the tune?

No. The music appeared long after the first appearance of this dance in
the database. It's odd, because my information on John Mitchell's dances
came out of the original instructions. I must have misread. As I wrote
earlier, my copy of Book 4 has disappeared, so I cannot check back.

Alan
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

June 26, 2006, 6:12 p.m. (Message 45664, in reply to message 45657)

Alan and Lara,

The Breakdown in Whetherly Book 4 # 13 is a 32 bar reel for 3 couples in a
three couple longwise set.   # 20 in the same book is "The Chinese
Breakdown" and it is a 48 bar reel for 3 couples in a longwise set.
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

June 26, 2006, 6:18 p.m. (Message 45665, in reply to message 45642)

In a message dated 6/26/2006 12:15:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx writes:

The  Breakdown in Whetherly Book 4 # 13 is a 32 bar reel for 3 couples in a
three couple longwise set.   # 20 in the same book is "The  Chinese
Breakdown" and it is a 48 bar reel for 3 couples in a longwise  set.

Does #20 use Chinese Breakdown for its tune?
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA