Alan Paterson

Re: The Breakdown

June 23, 2006, 8:55 a.m. (Message 45643, in reply to message 45642)

On 23/06/2006 05:28, L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> I am familiar with and have instructions for a dance called "The
> Breakdown," devised by John Mitchell and published in the Whetherly Book
> 4.  This dance is definitely a 3-couple set dance with a rather clever
> progression to get 1st couple to the bottom.
>
> I also have Lyle Ramshaw, Susan Worland Bentley, and Michael Bentley's
> CD of the same name. On this CD, the track for "The Breakdown" is an
> 8x32 Reel, rather than 3x32.  I checked in DanceData, and the dance is
> also listed there as a 3-couple dance to be done in a 4-couple set.
>
> Can someone explain this discrepancy to me?  Has the dance somehow
> changed since it was first published?  How did it go from being a set
> dance to a standard progression?

"Easy one" I thought. Having the complete collection of John Mitchell's
works in my cellar it should be no problem to nip down and have a look.
Would you believe it! Book 4 has inexplicably vanished. Gone! No idea where.

So I'll have to be patient and wait for someone else to reply.

Alan