  • Jim Healy

    Jim Healy April 2, 2006, 2:25 p.m. (Message 44950)

    Re: MacNab Dances in diagrams

    Greetings!

    Who said anything about copyright? Who said anything about legal opinions?
    Why is the assumption made that there must be a problem - other than a
    slower than desired response. Discussing the possibility of the RSCDS
    publishing Angus's booklet is something that we consider falls within the
    normal range of courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less. BUT, some of us
    consider such courtesies are important.

    Jim Healy
    Convenor, Membership Services

    ----Original Message Follows----
    From: "Eric Ferguson" <x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx>
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Re: MacNab Dances in diagrams
    Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:05:24 +0200

    I am astonished that this can be an issue.

    This has been discussed before.  "Pilling" can (perhaps) claim copyright on
    the diagrams they have produced themselves, but surely not on the symbols !
    In Germany, dance cribs are normally Pilling style diagrams, using the
    Pilling symbols and a few others.  Has Pilling ever raised objections?
    Publishing Angus' new MacNab diagrams would be no different.  And BTW, has
    Pilling received permission from the copyright holders of all the dances in
    their Wee Green Book?

    Does anyone understand what material interest can "Pilling" have in trying
    to copyright their symbols?  The more they are used, the more people will
    want to buy the WGB.

    What do the lawyers say?

    This "problem" only strengthens the case for putting the diagrams on the
    Web.

    --
    Eric T. Ferguson,
    van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB  ZEIST  Netherlands