Jim Healy

Re: MacNab Dances in diagrams

April 2, 2006, 2:25 p.m. (Message 44950, in reply to message 44948)

Greetings!

Who said anything about copyright? Who said anything about legal opinions?
Why is the assumption made that there must be a problem - other than a
slower than desired response. Discussing the possibility of the RSCDS
publishing Angus's booklet is something that we consider falls within the
normal range of courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less. BUT, some of us
consider such courtesies are important.

Jim Healy
Convenor, Membership Services

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Eric Ferguson" <x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: MacNab Dances in diagrams
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:05:24 +0200

I am astonished that this can be an issue.

This has been discussed before.  "Pilling" can (perhaps) claim copyright on
the diagrams they have produced themselves, but surely not on the symbols !
In Germany, dance cribs are normally Pilling style diagrams, using the
Pilling symbols and a few others.  Has Pilling ever raised objections?
Publishing Angus' new MacNab diagrams would be no different.  And BTW, has
Pilling received permission from the copyright holders of all the dances in
their Wee Green Book?

Does anyone understand what material interest can "Pilling" have in trying
to copyright their symbols?  The more they are used, the more people will
want to buy the WGB.

What do the lawyers say?

This "problem" only strengthens the case for putting the diagrams on the
Web.