MacNab Dances in diagrams

Lydia Hedge

April 1, 2006, 11:19 a.m. (Message 44942)

Hello all,

I have just received a "proof" copy of "The MacNab Dances in diagrams"
from the author of the diagrams - Angus Henry (Australia).

What a massive effort he has expended!! It is 14 pages of (rather larger
than normal) Pilling like diagrams. Easy to read and accurate (as far as I can
tell - I am not familiar with ALL of the dances). A quick way to refresh your
memory on these (often complex) dances.

It contains detailed diagrammatic representations of the 27 dances collected
by Mary Isdale MacNab and published by the RSCDS in "Scottish Dances"
Volumes I and II plus two other dances published earlier in the RSCDS
leaflet sets "Traditional Scottish Dances".

My original understanding was that the RSCDS was going to take Angus'
idea and fly with it, but I have heard no more about it, so I am really pleased
to have a proof copy for the interim. It would be good to know when (and if)
HQ is planning to publish this booklet (or one like it).

I think many dancers and teachers (especially, because of the extra
notations to help them) would benefit from these diagrams.

Well done, Angus!! And thank you.

Regards,

Lydia Hedge
Nova Scotia, Canada
Marie Disiewicz

Marie Disiewicz

April 1, 2006, 4:58 p.m. (Message 44943, in reply to message 44942)

Don't forget there is the video HQ put out last year of the MacNab (27)
dances plus instructions of  "The Duke of Gordon's Welcome To Aberdeen"
colledcted by Mr. Graham Forbes of Hamilton, Ontario Canada and a very
useful video it is.
Cheers
Marie
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

April 1, 2006, 10:53 p.m. (Message 44944, in reply to message 44942)

Angus,

How are you intending to publish your MacNab diagrams?  As you have made
them, the copyright on the diagrams is yours, though the copyright holder
of the descriptions should be asked for permission to publish.

Perhaps you (and the RSCDS) could consider publishing them on a website,
for downloading, and to dispense with making printed copies unless a
significant demand arises.  This would allow anyone (world-wide) to print
them for him(her)self.  It is faster, simpler and cheaper to everyone.

If you want some amount (eg what would otherwise be needed for printing and
postage) to be donated to charity, you could add a note to that effect; I
am sure all will comply.

Happy dancing,

Eric
Angus Henry

Angus Henry

April 2, 2006, 5:08 a.m. (Message 44946, in reply to message 44944)

Eric

A couple of years ago the book was arranged to be an RSCDS
publication and was prepared for that purpose.    With assorted
delays, new structures etc, it still awaits finalisation.

A few people have been very supportive and helpful in preparing and
checking the accuracy of the work, and with the passage of many
months and requests for progress I have printed and sent about half a
dozen only as proof copies to those people.   I am still happy to
allow copyright to the Society when they decide to go ahead with the
project, if they want.

Angus
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

April 2, 2006, 9:57 a.m. (Message 44947, in reply to message 44946)

Greetings!

With regard to publication by the Society, that depends on the outcome of
discussions with the successors of Pilling who have not been the most
responsive.

Jim Healy
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

April 2, 2006, 12:05 p.m. (Message 44948, in reply to message 44947)

I am astonished that this can be an issue.

This has been discussed before.  "Pilling" can (perhaps) claim copyright on
the diagrams they have produced themselves, but surely not on the symbols !
In Germany, dance cribs are normally Pilling style diagrams, using the
Pilling symbols and a few others.  Has Pilling ever raised objections?
Publishing Angus' new MacNab diagrams would be no different.  And BTW, has
Pilling received permission from the copyright holders of all the dances in
their Wee Green Book?

Does anyone understand what material interest can "Pilling" have in trying
to copyright their symbols?  The more they are used, the more people will
want to buy the WGB.

What do the lawyers say?

This "problem" only strengthens the case for putting the diagrams on the
Web.
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

April 2, 2006, 2:25 p.m. (Message 44950, in reply to message 44948)

Greetings!

Who said anything about copyright? Who said anything about legal opinions?
Why is the assumption made that there must be a problem - other than a
slower than desired response. Discussing the possibility of the RSCDS
publishing Angus's booklet is something that we consider falls within the
normal range of courtesy. Nothing more, nothing less. BUT, some of us
consider such courtesies are important.

Jim Healy
Convenor, Membership Services

I am astonished that this can be an issue.

This has been discussed before.  "Pilling" can (perhaps) claim copyright on
the diagrams they have produced themselves, but surely not on the symbols !
In Germany, dance cribs are normally Pilling style diagrams, using the
Pilling symbols and a few others.  Has Pilling ever raised objections?
Publishing Angus' new MacNab diagrams would be no different.  And BTW, has
Pilling received permission from the copyright holders of all the dances in
their Wee Green Book?

Does anyone understand what material interest can "Pilling" have in trying
to copyright their symbols?  The more they are used, the more people will
want to buy the WGB.

What do the lawyers say?

This "problem" only strengthens the case for putting the diagrams on the
Web.
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 2, 2006, 5:52 p.m. (Message 44951, in reply to message 44950)

On 4/2/06, Jim Healy <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Who said anything about copyright? Who said anything about legal opinions?
> Why is the assumption made that there must be a problem - other than a
> slower than desired response.

This one is easy. Because your original email said that the
publication _depends_ on the outcome of the discussion to them. To my
ear, this sounds more like a hostage situation than just a
confirmation that they are happy to hear about RSCDS liking their
ancestor's notation. And given the copyright confusion related to this
issue, we obviously presume that there are difficulties.

I am sure that (at least) my opinion could be easily reversed if more
concrete information were provided.

Regards,
   Alex.
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

April 3, 2006, 4:24 p.m. (Message 44966, in reply to message 44947)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Jim Healy wrote:
> With regard to publication by the Society, that depends on the outcome of
> discussions with the successors of Pilling who have not been the most
> responsive.

Any chance the Society would consider publishing the diagrams in PDF form
online, perhaps with a Creative Commons License (see
http://creativecommons.org/)?

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
zon-taanom

zon-taanom

April 4, 2006, 6:46 p.m. (Message 44980, in reply to message 44942)

We know that Angus has been working on this project since a long, long time
(and we have an early draft dating June 2000 !) and had great difficulties
in getting answers to queries regarding interpretations of the descriptions
from the Society.  Luckily he got help from dancers around the world with
longstanding experience of the MacNab dances from earlier times.

With the successors of Pilling not being `the most responsive`, for what
seems to us quite some time already, we really hope that now - with what
seems to be the ´definitive` version of the booklet ready for publication -
the Society will be able to quickly complete whatever negotiations have been
holding up the printing (or whatever way of publication is possible).

We think publication would be most timely. And, as two of the lucky few to
have seen this handy booklet, we think it would be most helpful for
teachers.

Wanda van Taanom/ Hans van Zon
The Hague Branch
The Netherlands
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

May 12, 2006, 7:21 a.m. (Message 45249, in reply to message 44942)

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is happening with Angus Henry's "The MacNab dances in
diagrams"?  I saw the booklet in its early stages and am told it has now
been completed.  It's a super booklet, a major undertaking, a real labour of
love and invaluable to those who wish to teach/dance MacNab dances.

I understand that Angus has offered the booklet free of charge to the RSCDS
 and I thought since the video was available through the RSCDS, that the
 booklet would also be on offer. I even checked my TACBooks listings and its
 not there either.....maybe it will be on the shelf at St. Andrews this
summer.  I'll be there the 2nd week of the 1st fortnight, any others going
to be
there at the same time?

Stella
Richmond, VA