language influence across the Atlantic

  • ...

    Volleyballjerry March 12, 2006, 10:23 p.m. (Message 44658)

    In a message dated 03/11/2006 12:32:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    xx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

    > In Great Britain, there are a lot of people that use the English language,
    > and there are more and more that copy what others do across the water.

    And vice-versa!  To "vet" someone (check out background) was first noticed by
    me in some British commentary long before it was ever a common term in the
    U.S.  In fact I had no idea what it meant when I first saw it.  Now it is fairly
    common here as well.

    Ditto the term "run-up" (generally as "run-up to the...) meaning the period
    of time approaching.

    (And again I have to change my "send to" address, Martin's message having
    also arrived, as commented upon earlier today, completely without the "reply-to"
    line and its Strathspey address.)

    Robb Quint
    Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
  • ...

    Ron Mackey March 13, 2006, 1 a.m. (Message 44661, in reply to message 44658)

    > Ditto the term "run-up" (generally as "run-up to the...) meaning the period
    > of time approaching.

    	Well, the origin of run-up actually applies to distance more
    than time even though that is what it means today.  It alludes to that
    mysterious game called Cricket.
    The run-up is of vital importance - just ask any bowler.
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net March 13, 2006, 1:58 p.m. (Message 44674, in reply to message 44658)

    Can´t comment on the antiquity of "run up" in relation to cricket, but
    it has been around the aviation trade for a long time. Most people are
    not aware of it as they are rather isolated in the modern super
    carriers. But in small planes, the "run up" is made just before
    entering the area to await take off. In this process, with the brakes
    on, the engine is tested to make sure it and all the guages are
    functioning properly. Only once in my life of 1000s of hours of flying,
    has the plane I was flying failed this test, a failure that would have
    been disaster if in the air.