Taking to the floor (I'm with Simon!)

Volleyballjerry

March 5, 2006, 4:55 a.m. (Message 44476)

It seems to me that we had this same discussion not very long ago.  I was
again beginning to think that I was alone on the face of the planet not being in
the least bothered either as a dancer or as a briefer (as we generally call
MC-ers here) if the floor is not cleared and the sets are partially (or even
fully) formed before the dance is specifically announced...until I saw Simon's
message (below).  (Perhaps in set dancing in the past, SCD et al., there was not
always a preprinted program, and the floor was cleared and partners not taken
until the dance was announced because folks didn't know what dance it would
even be until it was actually announced.)  I find myself, when briefing,
employing much the same phrasing as Simon:  I see that you're already forming /
you've already formed / sets for...and saying it cheerfully.  At our recent Burns
Ball I briefed a section and found that I was sometimes cueing the band to
play its own identifying "announcement" of eight bar after there were already
sets formed in front of me, having still given them the breathing time that they
needed between dances.  As I mentioned when this was discussed recently, even
with the "premature" formation of sets (which I personally refuse to
necessarily consider as such), I see it as positive enthusiasm for the dancing, almost
always carried out in polite and orderly fashion, hardly ever with folks
mowing down others as they rush to the top.  So why on earth not?  I'm definitely
with Simon on this.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 03/03/2006 5:44:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

March 5, 2006, 9:08 a.m. (Message 44477, in reply to message 44476)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

>   At our recent Burns
> Ball I briefed a section and found that I was sometimes cueing the band to
> play its own identifying "announcement" of eight bar after there were already
> sets formed in front of me, having still given them the breathing time that
> they
> needed between dances.  As I mentioned when this was discussed recently, even
> with the "premature" formation of sets (which I personally refuse to
> necessarily consider as such), I see it as positive enthusiasm for the
> dancing, almost
> always carried out in polite and orderly fashion, hardly ever with folks
> mowing down others as they rush to the top.  So why on earth not?  I'm
> definitely
> with Simon on this.

I've fiddled for several dances recently when this situation has occurred
and as a musician I find it uncomfortable and a bit embarrassing playing an
introduction for a dance when sets are already formed up in front of me; it
seems pointless, and I worry that we took too long between dances or
something.  I also have tried to look at this behavior positively and chalk
it up to dancers' enthusiasm but really, it seems to me to just be bad
manners since we've all been taught not to take the floor (and certainly not
to form up sets) until the dance was announced.  However if the MCs approve
of the behavior, what are you going to do...
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California
simon scott

simon scott

March 5, 2006, 10:29 p.m. (Message 44494, in reply to message 44477)

When I first danced, in Britain, with my parents some fifty years ago we
went to village halls, or often to stately houses where there was
country dancing. As I remember, it was a social evening of dancing when
a dance would be announced, danced and then we would continue to
socialize until another one was announced.  As a result, yes, we would
leave the floor to talk to friends etc, but not because anyone said we
should. It just happened that way. I think there was more time between
dances and whether there was a pre-published program I can't remember.
As I assume such gatherings were common then, or maybe now, may I also
assume that certain customs of "etiquette" have grow from these types of
occasions in the passed.  Were they times when the circumstances of the
evening may have been somewhat different.

Now, and very much in contrast, I go to classes to learn, or to teach,
dances for coming parties, balls and events. I am part of the RSCDS,
which I knew nothing of at first. We have standards, we have structure,
technique and goals for learning new dances etc, all of which I love
with a passion, but originally knew nothing of at all.  I just danced
because that's what we did.

As a result, when attending an event now, I find an excitement and
anticipation far different than before. I feel that we now tend to go to
a dance "to dance the program". We've learned the steps and the dances
so now we are off to the spend the evening doing them. This is not a
criticism, I love it.

However, to me this seems to encourage us, and I most certainly include
myself, to want to get up on the floor and be ready to dance.  Why not !
I would prefer to see sets formed, in an orderly fashion, albeit to some
prematurely, than to see couples, hand in hand, hovering at the edge of
the floor awaiting the first word of the MC.

I certainly sympathize with the comments made musician but I don't think
that the enthusiasm of the dancers should, in any way, alter the pace of
the evening. That should be in the hands of the MC and the band.

Just my feeling.

I notice that the majority of the contributors to this subject are from
the North American continent, are there any in Britain who share my
memories or ideas.
Thank you Alex for your Manual reference.

Simon
Vancouver
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

March 5, 2006, 3:47 p.m. (Message 44484, in reply to message 44476)

As a musician I find that I often finish a dance, there is applause and
milling and the MC tells me to play '8 bars'.  Then there is a long down  time
while there are announcements, briefings, recaps, sometimes even a walk  through.
 And then the next dance.  I would rather eliminate the  8=bars or play them
after the MC has everyone ready and is about to brief and  says 'Let's hear
the music for such and such.'  Heresy??
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

March 6, 2006, 12:33 a.m. (Message 44496, in reply to message 44484)

A nice sensible suggestion.     I was once at a local dance (--)
years ago where the habit was for the MC to announce the dance and
give the recap.  He then invited us into sets while the band played the
intro.  That left just a minute or two to sort the sets and then away -- .
	Quite strange but pleasant when one got used to it.  And - one
could sit out if it sounded too grim.
	It certainly helped incomers.