mystified (was: Technique)

Martin.Sheffield

Jan. 25, 2002, 8:53 a.m. (Message 29277)

At 22:10 24/01/02, you wrote:
>I presume he means a cheval mirror or similar when he
>says a pier glass -

???
I used to think I understood Englsih -- never heard either of those
expressions. Which side of the Atlantic/which hemisphere do they  inhabit?
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Jan. 25, 2002, 12:23 p.m. (Message 29283, in reply to message 29277)

I would interpret is as a mirror where you can see your feet  :>)  a make-up
mirror is not very good :>) :>) :>)

Have a nice weekend all

Pia
Andrew Buxton

Andrew Buxton

Jan. 25, 2002, 1:25 p.m. (Message 29286, in reply to message 29277)

Martin,

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary, a cheval glass is swung on a
frame whereas a pier glass is any large mirror.  I have heard pier
glasses referred to when visiting stately homes.  Most of us don't have
room for either in our (UK) houses!

Andrew Buxton,
Brighton
SallenNic

SallenNic

Jan. 25, 2002, 2:22 p.m. (Message 29290, in reply to message 29277)

The eastern side of the Atlantic, Martin! Visit many 'Stately Homes' in
Britain, and somewhere in the guide book the chances are you'll find
reference to a cheval mirror or a pier glass. I believe a cheval mirror is a
mirror on a tiltable stand which shews the whole body, whereas a pier glass
is a tall narrow mirror mounted on the wall above a side table or mantlepiece
(often in pairs at either side of the item they top).

Nicolas B., Lanark, Scotland.