Books versus Cribs

  • ...

    ron.mackey Oct. 1, 2001, 11:06 p.m. (Message 27626)

    Hi,

    	In a private chat with Anselm concerning posting dances on S'pey I
    wondered I wondered about a tread on how many subscribers collected
    books of instruction, other than RSCDS subscription copies, and how
    many coasted by on cribs only.  His reply.........
    > Feel free.
    > *I* have, for one! 50+ and counting!

    	So, having had a quick check, I have about 349 books containing 3604
    dances not including Leaflets or all the RSCDS publications which I
    have also.
    	So........ Who else supports the poor deviser seeking sales??
    Cheers,  Ron   :)

     < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
      'O>  Mottingham,
      /#\  London. UK.
       l>
    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Mike Mudrey Oct. 1, 2001, 11:07 p.m. (Message 27632, in reply to message 27626)

    I too have aide memoires,  but these are reminders of a dance, and not a
    teaching aide.

    Instructors should always have the original material and prepare their own
    aids for instructing, and a separate aide memoire for a ball, that is, as
    the name says, a memory aid for some who already has learned the dance and
    needs a refresher.

    I find them too cryptic to be an instructional guide.

    mm
  • ...

    Stella Fogg Oct. 2, 2001, 4:35 p.m. (Message 27658, in reply to message 27626)

    Hi all,
    In replying to Ron's possible "survey" thread on how many subscribers
    collect books of instruction, as opposed to crib sheets,  I think it would
    be useful to know whether the person replying to a survey,  teaches or is
    just a regular dancer. As a teacher, I purchase not only to support the very
    clever folks who write wonderful dances but to have the "real" instructions
    to teach my class. Most of my class members love receiving their RSCDS book
    when they pay their dues and they save all their crib sheets but other than
    Pillings, they do not buy dance books. (Maybe because they know their
    teacher does......
    Stella
    Richmond, VA
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Oct. 2, 2001, 6:53 p.m. (Message 27667, in reply to message 27626)

    And not infrequently a bit wrong...?
  • ...

    Angus Henry Oct. 3, 2001, 5:11 a.m. (Message 27730, in reply to message 27626)

    Yes; always, if we want to teach or research a dance (and the same
    with CDs or tapes if recorded with original tunes).

    Books extend to about 2.5 metres of shelf space, plus files of
    leaflets.  If done consistently over time a collection is not unduly
    expensive to build up.

    Cribs, never, unless originals are genuinely impossible to get.

    --

    *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
       Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812, AUSTRALIA

    Alan Paterson Oct. 4, 2001, 5:56 p.m. (Message 27745, in reply to message 27626)

    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

    >         Hi,
    >
    >         In a private chat with Anselm concerning posting dances on S'pey I
    > wondered I wondered about a tread on how many subscribers collected
    > books of instruction, other than RSCDS subscription copies, and how
    > many coasted by on cribs only.  His reply.........
    > > Feel free.
    > > *I* have, for one! 50+ and counting!
    >
    >         So, having had a quick check, I have about 349 books containing 3604
    > dances not including Leaflets or all the RSCDS publications which I
    > have also.
    >         So........ Who else supports the poor deviser seeking sales??

    Drat! I thought I was pretty high up there with my 158 books containing 2885
    dances - but I'm not even close.

    Alan