Island CD Survey

  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau Sept. 25, 2001, 12:16 p.m. (Message 27501)

    Since we seem to be back on track with SCD-related topics, here's
    another little fun project for those of you who would like to play
    along.

    Imagine you were to spend a year on a South Sea island. Which three SCD
    CDs would you want to take along? (Let's imagine that there is an ample
    supply of monkeys around who would be more than happy to fill out a set
    once the coconuts and bananas are cleared away; the point is that these
    three CDs will be the only ones available. Oh yes, and the monkeys have
    all passed the RSCDS proficiency test so they will be able to dance
    whichever dance you fancy :^))

    Please post your lists here or send them to `xxxxxx-xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx'.
    I will collect the results and put them on a page on the Strathspey
    Server unless the submitters object. To start things off, my own list
    would be (in alphabetical order):

      - Cairngorms (Keith Smith and Muriel Johnstone)
      - Memories of Scottish Weekend (Scottish Weekend Band 1998)
      - The San Francisco Collection, vol. 2 (Various)

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain.

    Marjorie McLaughlin Sept. 25, 2001, 4:39 p.m. (Message 27503, in reply to message 27501)

    Hmm, can we take along our home-recorded CDs?

    Stan Hamilton & Band, Volume 1 (my age is showing, but I couldn't manage
    without one Stan Hamilton recording)
    Dancing Live (Muriel Johnstone Trio and SCD Band)
    Live (John Taylor and Andy Imbrie)

    Better send this now before I start thinking about what I've left behind.

    Marjorie McLaughlin
    San Diego, CA
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 25, 2001, 4:57 p.m. (Message 27504, in reply to message 27501)

    Oh, yes, emphatically ditto John Taylor and Andy Imbrie(esp. their
    'De'il.....').  Also Boston Branch Anniversary CD!!!!  And, of course,
    oodles more...
  • ...

    Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov Sept. 25, 2001, 5:02 p.m. (Message 27505, in reply to message 27501)

    Quoting Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>:

    > Since we seem to be back on track with SCD-related topics, here's
    > another little fun project for those of you who would like to play
    > along.
    >
    > Imagine you were to spend a year on a South Sea island. Which three
    > SCD
    > CDs would you want to take along?
    >   - Cairngorms (Keith Smith and Muriel Johnstone)
    >   - Memories of Scottish Weekend (Scottish Weekend Band 1998)
    >   - The San Francisco Collection, vol. 2 (Various)

    Well, I'm going to assume I'm stranded on the same island with Marjorie
    and Anselm, so I've already got Cairngorms, the San Francisco
    Collection, Memories of Scottish Weekend, and the John Taylor and Andy
    Imbrie discs, all of which are among my favorites.  This leaves me free
    to bring my other top choices:

    - Boston Celebrate 50  (various)
    - Terpsichore (Elke Baker and Liz Donaldson)
    - Any of the 3 Berkeley Players albums (which we have transferred to
    CDs)

    *******************************
    Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
    *******************************
  • ...

    Oberdan Otto Sept. 27, 2001, 4:42 a.m. (Message 27543, in reply to message 27505)

    >Well, I'm going to assume I'm stranded on the same island with Marjorie
    >and Anselm, so I've already got Cairngorms, the San Francisco
    >Collection, Memories of Scottish Weekend, and the John Taylor and Andy
    >Imbrie discs, all of which are among my favorites.  This leaves me free
    >to bring my other top choices:
    >
    >- Boston Celebrate 50  (various)
    >- Terpsichore (Elke Baker and Liz Donaldson)
    >- Any of the 3 Berkeley Players albums (which we have transferred to
    >CDs)

    Well, as much as I might like being stranded with Marjorie and
    Anselm, I wouldn't like leaving something like music choices to
    chance. What about all those terrific pre-CD albums: Stan Hamilton,
    Berkeley Players, Jimmy Blue, Jim Johnstone, etc...

    Problem is, there are sooo many wonderful recordings that it would be
    easier for me to pick 3 not to bring than to leave all of the rest of
    my music behind. I would opt for something about the same size as a
    stack of 3 standard jewel cases--a 60 gigabyte external drive with
    all my music in mp3 format. The original challenge implicitly assumed
    that a CD player, amplification and electricity were available, so I
    would replace the CD player and amplifier with an mmx notebook PC
    with internal speakers (which could also play your 3 CD's if you got
    stranded with me).

    Happiness is ALL of my music. :)))

    Cheers, Oberdan.

    184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
    Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov Sept. 25, 2001, 5:02 p.m. (Message 27506, in reply to message 27501)

    Quoting Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>:

    > Since we seem to be back on track with SCD-related topics, here's
    > another little fun project for those of you who would like to play
    > along.
    >
    > Imagine you were to spend a year on a South Sea island. Which three
    > SCD
    > CDs would you want to take along?
    >   - Cairngorms (Keith Smith and Muriel Johnstone)
    >   - Memories of Scottish Weekend (Scottish Weekend Band 1998)
    >   - The San Francisco Collection, vol. 2 (Various)

    Well, I'm going to assume I'm stranded on the same island with Marjorie
    and Anselm, so I've already got Cairngorms, the San Francisco
    Collection, Memories of Scottish Weekend, and the John Taylor and Andy
    Imbrie discs, all of which are among my favorites.  This leaves me free
    to bring my other top choices:

    - Boston Celebrate 50  (various)
    - Terpsichore (Elke Baker and Liz Donaldson)
    - Any of the 3 Berkeley Players albums (which we have transferred to
    CDs)

    *******************************
    Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
    *******************************
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 25, 2001, 5:07 p.m. (Message 27507, in reply to message 27501)

    Oh, dear, I've got to swim back this instant to pick of my much-much-played
    Terpsichore.  Thanks for reminding me here at the office, Lara,where my
    brain reluctantly has to turn off SCD now and then....!
  • ...

    Martin.Sheffield Sept. 25, 2001, 7:59 p.m. (Message 27510, in reply to message 27501)

    Since my original message (sent on 11 Sept) got buried under a lot of rubble,
    I'm sending it again:

    >Even if we are all afraid of being sued for slander in case of negative
    comments, there's no reason why we shouldn't voice our praise for the dance
    bands (recordings) we like best.

    My vote goes to the White Cockade and to the Sound Company, whose
    musicianship, clarity, and energy could keep me dancing for the rest of my
    life.

    I imagine there will be a distinct divide between tastes on the two sides
    of the Atlantic ...
    (Note my own non-partisan approach !)
    ---
    So the 3 CDs that I couldn't do without are:
    On Track, by the Sound Company.
    Tartan Capers, by the White Cockade.
    and a home made copy of an old record of Don Bartlet & the Scotians
    ---

    Martin,
     in Grenoble, France.

     http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/
                  (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)
  • ...

    mlbrown Sept. 26, 2001, 1:30 a.m. (Message 27526, in reply to message 27510)

    No fair! I was thinking that is was bad enough having to look through the 97
    pre-recorded CDs in our collection to come up with a top 3, and then you
    include the privately recorded ones! (OK, so you weren't the first, but I
    haven't got the other privately recorded CDs that were mentioned)

    Anyway its far too late for me to go through now, although I suspect I would
    have to include a Neil Barron CD because I use its generic Reels and Jigs
    for anything I don't have the right tune for.
    I also suspect I will have to select one of the Music Makars CDs, but I
    don't know which one - and that will only leave me with one more -
    decisions! decisions!

    By the way, I only have one recording for Belle of Bon Accord - except that
    the proper tune is "Bonnie Lass", which is the tune used for the St John
    River, and I could get a home made CD with that on it! (Only I couldn't
    remember that last week when I was getting the CDs out for a dance last
    Saturday).

    My son asked how many of the 100 plus CDs I actually used, and I was
    pleasantly surprised to find that for an 18 dance programme I used a
    different CD for each dance, and even then some of my favourites weren't
    used, so it looks like I have to select from at least 30.

    Part of the trouble is of course that there are some dances that have
    "definitive" recordings - Reel of the Royal Scots - Bobby Brown / Miss
    Milligan's Strathspey - Ian MacPhail / Bratach Bana - Andrew Rankine / Music
    Makars - Music Makars / The Sailor - Berkely Players  ,    and a lot of
    these tracks are only on LPs & private CD recordings. Do I allow my liking
    for the dance to influence my choice of recording? (I told you it was too
    late!!!)

    Malcolm
  • ...

    Bernie Hewitt Sept. 25, 2001, 8:43 p.m. (Message 27511, in reply to message 27501)

    I must admit that I would probably only take one CD with me - call it old
    fashioned, but that would be 20 Golden Tracks, taken from many different
    recordings by Sir Jimmy Shand and his band.

    Bernie Hewitt
    xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Fyreladdie Sept. 25, 2001, 9:10 p.m. (Message 27512, in reply to message 27501)

    In a message dated 9/25/01 11:05:33 AM, xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

    << So the 3 CDs that I couldn't do without are:
    On Track, by the Sound Company.
    Tartan Capers, by the White Cockade.

    Martin,
        I must agree that I do enjoy the energy of the Sound Company and use them
    a good deal. Taratn Capers is also a unique recording that I use.  I would
    not want to be restricted to those but are favorites.

    Bob Mc Murtry
    Felton, Calif
  • ...

    Frances Wilson Sept. 25, 2001, 8:35 p.m. (Message 27514, in reply to message 27501)

    I think I'd have to go with:

    --Cairngorms, Smith & Johnstone
    --Live, Imbrie & Taylor
    --and "the will it ever be recorded?" (oh please oh please) by Alasdair
    Fraser and Muriel Johnstone. Yes, I know there isn't one, but if there ever
    is, it'll be my favorite, hands down.

    Frances
  • ...

    James Crandall Sept. 26, 2001, 1:11 a.m. (Message 27516, in reply to message 27501)

    Anselm Lingnau wrote:

    > Since we seem to be back on track with SCD-related topics, here's
    > another little fun project for those of you who would like to play
    > along.
    >
    > Imagine you were to spend a year on a South Sea island. Which three SCD
    > CDs would you want to take along? (Let's imagine that there is an ample
    > supply of monkeys around who would be more than happy to fill out a set
    > once the coconuts and bananas are cleared away; the point is that these
    > three CDs will be the only ones available. Oh yes, and the monkeys have
    > all passed the RSCDS proficiency test so they will be able to dance
    > whichever dance you fancy :^))
    >
    > Please post your lists here or send them to `xxxxxx-xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx'.
    > I will collect the results and put them on a page on the Strathspey
    > Server unless the submitters object. To start things off, my own list
    > would be (in alphabetical order):
    >
    >   - Cairngorms (Keith Smith and Muriel Johnstone)
    >   - Memories of Scottish Weekend (Scottish Weekend Band 1998)
    >   - The San Francisco Collection, vol. 2 (Various)
    >
    > Anselm
    > --
    > Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    > In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain.
    >                                                              -- Pliny the Elder

    I only have about 14 CDs of SCD, but of those my favorites are:

    The Music Makers,  Ghillies on the Golden Gate (Fiddlesticks and Ivory) and
    Live (John Taylor and Andy Imbrie).   If Phil Cunningham had  such a CD, that would
    probably be on the list.

    Jim Crandall
    San Diego
  • ...

    Fyreladdie Sept. 26, 2001, 1:21 a.m. (Message 27517, in reply to message 27501)

    In a message dated 9/25/01 1:48:32 PM, xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx writes:

    << --and "the will it ever be recorded?" (oh please oh please) by Alasdair
    Fraser and Muriel Johnstone. Yes, I know there isn't one, but if there ever
    is, it'll be my favorite, hands down.

    Frances,

        Oh, I hope so too. i have heard to two together several times and it's a
    winning combination.

    Bob Mc Murtry
    Felton, Calif

  • ...

    Gary Knox Sept. 26, 2001, 4:22 a.m. (Message 27518, in reply to message 27501)

    My three CDs would be:
             Memories of Scottish Weekend    (1998 Band)
                     a lively, pleasant ensemble
             Live!   (John Taylor & Andy Imbrie)
                     enthusiastic and simple
             St Andrews Ball (Ron Kerr and his Scottish Dance Band)
                     many favorites and an accordion for variety

    Having had the pleasure of dancing to Alasdair Fraser and Muriel Johnstone
    I would appreciate a series of CDs - both dancing and listening.

    Gary
    San Francisco Branch

    Gary Knox
    3673 Stoneglen South
    Richmond, CA  94806-5261
    (510) 223-4201
    xxxx@xxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Steve Wyrick Sept. 26, 2001, 4:38 a.m. (Message 27521, in reply to message 27501)

    Anselm Lingnau wrote:

    > Imagine you were to spend a year on a South Sea island. Which three SCD
    > CDs would you want to take along? (Let's imagine that there is an ample
    > supply of monkeys around who would be more than happy to fill out a set
    > once the coconuts and bananas are cleared away; the point is that these
    > three CDs will be the only ones available. Oh yes, and the monkeys have
    > all passed the RSCDS proficiency test so they will be able to dance
    > whichever dance you fancy :^))

    Can I bring my fiddle and a copy of "The Skye Collection" instead? I'll play
    for all the monkeys!

    Well if not, I pick these 3 "local" CDs:
    Taylor/Imbrie - Live
    San Francisco Collection Volume II
    Fiddlesticks & Ivory - Ghillies on the Golden Gate
    --
    Steve Wyrick <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> -- Concord, CA
  • ...

    Chris1Ronald Sept. 26, 2001, 4:53 a.m. (Message 27523, in reply to message 27501)

    In a message dated 09/25/2001 4:37:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx writes:
    > --and "the will it ever be recorded?" (oh please oh please) by Alasdair
    > Fraser and Muriel Johnstone. Yes, I know there isn't one, but if there ever
    > is, it'll be my favorite, hands down.
    >
    > Dear Frances,

    Now you're putting ideas into my head....maybe we should work on it.

    The only problem is that Alasdair live is something no CD could
    capture.....CDs don't walk down between the sets!

    Chris.
  • ...

    seonaid.gent Sept. 26, 2001, 7:08 p.m. (Message 27536, in reply to message 27501)

    Mine change frequently but would currently include
    Host of the Air - James Gray et al
    Highlander No ?5? (The Iain McPhail one!)
    And the one of the Tartan Amaebas that my highland teacher has.

    And if we want to have a SCD ball in Scotland on a desert island, the
    island of Little Cumbrae (in the Clyde just east of Bute) is up for
    sale ;o) Don't know what the asking price is, but I'm sure if we tried
    hard enough we'd get enough to buy the island, build the perfect SCD
    venue, and maybe even a boat to get us there!

    Cheers,

    Seonaid
    Still wondering around central Scotland
  • ...

    Susan McKinnell Sept. 29, 2001, 7:56 p.m. (Message 27597, in reply to message 27501)

    I've been reading everyone's answers and trying to catch up on email....
    My first two choices would be easy:
    Muckle Carfuffle by Tullochgorum and Terpsichore by Elke Baker and Liz Donaldson
    because many of my first memories of SCD are to these two collections of music (and
    my first two weekend workshops).  I love listening to Barbara McOwen play fiddle!!
    My third choice is much harder because there are several CDs I really enjoy:
    the first two Music Makars CDs
    Celebrate 50 Years with the Boston Branch
    Gang on the Same Gate by Green Ginger
    these all have marvelous music on them.
    I think I'd go with San Francisco Collection 2 because the  music really makes you
    want to get up and dance, and I have written two of my favorite dances to tunes
    from this CD.
    (This is not meant to slight any other wonderful CDs out there - I have many others
    I enjoy dancing to as well, but I was limited to 3...)
    Sue

    --
    Susan McKinnell   xxxxxx@xxx.xxx   http://suem18.home.att.net
    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore,

    Strathspey Oct. 1, 2001, 2:16 p.m. (Message 27611, in reply to message 27501)

    What a splendid thread this is! Thanks Anslem! My selection, in order of
    preference, is as follows:

    "Yellow" Highlander Vol? by David Cunningham
    "Special Requests Vol II" by Colin Dewar
    "Clashmadden" by Nicol McLaren and the Glencraig Band

    Three is an incredibly tough number to keep to, even rejecting all
    recordings other than those I happen to have on CD and any that don't fall
    into the strict Scottish Country Dancing bracket.

    The reasons behind my choice are that the David Cunningham is for me the
    best dancing CD in terms of tempo, tune selection and rhythm that I have
    ever danced to - brilliant.

    Colin Dewar represents a fine contrast in style to David Cunningham, relying
    on a dominant piano/bass to give the wonderful solidity in his sound whilst
    the technical execution of the melody is second to none.

    Nicol's CD edges out all the others for very personal reasons. Nicol and his
    family are close friends and we visit each other regularly with plenty of
    music involved of course. Nicol has a wonderful swing to his playing which
    again makes it one of the most dancable CDs on the market - again a great
    contrast to the styles of David and Colin. My favorite track on this CD -
    the strathspey "Partens in his Creel". The fact that two of the tunes on
    this track were written by my father for me and Caroline, my wife is
    probably not entirely coincidental.

    I don't know if Anselm intentionally took this idea from Desert Island
    Discs, a radio show in the UK. If you did Anselm, you will know that one
    luxury is also allowed. In this vein I would like to take along a full set
    of band equipment - accordion, fiddle, drum kit, piano, pa etc. By careful
    persuasion I might be able to get three of the monkeys to play the
    accordion, fiddle and piano so that we can have a great jam session!
  • ...

    James R. Ferguson Oct. 1, 2001, 4:44 p.m. (Message 27613, in reply to message 27611)

    I agee that this is an excellent idea!  Although neither Jim and I are
    teachers we have a lot of SCD CDs, but I'm learning names of some I didn't
    know existed.  We'll have to try some of the ones that all of you are raving
    about in this thread.
    Donna
  • ...

    ron.mackey Oct. 1, 2001, 11:06 p.m. (Message 27627, in reply to message 27613)

    > From:          "Jim & Donna Ferguson" <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>

    > I agee that this is an excellent idea!  Although neither Jim and I are
    > teachers we have a lot of SCD CDs, but I'm learning names of some I didn't
    > know existed.  We'll have to try some of the ones that all of you are raving
    > about in this thread.
    > Donna

    	Hi, Donna
    		I have just chickened out from posting a reply on Strathspey to
    Graham and sent it direct instead.  It's about the Colin Dewar tapes.
    I don't think the CDs have the same problem but the tapes have
    applause between each item which means that a sound search system
    such as I use on a Karaoke will not find individual items as the
    noise is continuous.
       So, if you go for the Dewar music to use for dancing I suggest
    you get the CDs.  The music is so good it's frustrating not to be
    able to use them in class!!

    Happy Dancing
    Cheers  :)

    Ron
    Ron Mackey.  London Branch
  • ...

    Jim Healy Oct. 1, 2001, 10:35 p.m. (Message 27629, in reply to message 27501)

    Greetings!

    Graham Hamilton writes:
    >My selection, in order of preference, is as follows:
    >
    >"Yellow" Highlander Vol? by David Cunningham
    >"Special Requests Vol II" by Colin Dewar
    >"Clashmadden" by Nicol McLaren and the Glencraig Band

    Well, Graham, where's your application for the AGM Weekend??

    Friday Ball - David Cunningham and his Band
    Saturday Dance - Colin Dewar Quartet

    I haven't posted my preferences on this thread as I could never restrict it
    to three and don't know how Marjorie could pick out one of the Stan Hamilton
    discs. I would have to declare mine to be a boxed set to ensure all five
    were all included.

    If I really were restricted to 3 physical CDs I would probably want to burn
    my own selection of tracks from lots of different CDs - for example, I
    wouldn't want to be anywhere without a couple of tracks from Muriel's Skye
    Collection plus the half of Dancing Live recorded at Blair Castle just
    because I was there and the atmosphere was fantastic plus, plus, plus...

    But, Marjorie's initial reference to the Stan Hamilton and another to the
    Berkeley Players plus queries about Jimmy Blue and Peter White make me
    wonder - Strathspey MP3 swap-shop, Anselm??

    Jim Healy
    Perth, Scotland
  • ...

    Strathspey Oct. 2, 2001, 4:02 p.m. (Message 27657, in reply to message 27501)

    I have Colin's CDs, rather than cassettes, for dancing which are tracked so
    easy to identify. Vol IV has no applause so you may have won your point.
    Another great dancing CD by the way with an excellent Montgomeries Rant
    track.

    As another game, Colin Dewar's Special Requests Volume III, one of the tunes
    on the recording is wrongly identified on the sleeve notes - can you spot
    which one?

    Regards

    Graham