tempos, etc

SMiskoe

Feb. 25, 1995, 12:54 a.m. (Message 1102)

Tempos are relative and it is ok to say that the norm is..., but then one
must remember that each dance is a little different and you play the latter
part of the evening faster than the first to keep the tired legs moving.  A
Glasgow Highlanders really rips along, for a strathspey, while a Lea Rig is
slower.  My rule of thumb is that it should take 30-32 seconds to play 32
bars of a quick time and about 60 to play 32 bars of a strathspey.  But then
come the variations.  I used to always have a dancer cued to tell me how the
tempos were going but now I rely more on watching the way the dancers move.
 And after a couple of dances, I seek out a good dancer, preferably also a
musician, and ask them how the dancing feels.  Here's a laugh about tempos
and their adjustments. I once played for a party, given by a sub-group and
attended by the overall group head who was a musician.  8 bars into a dance
the party host told me to crank up the tempo.  I obliged.  8 bars later the
head person trotted up and emphatically told me I was too fast.  So I
obligingly slowed down, whereupon the host told me to speed up.  At the
finish, 2 disgruntled people began to converge upon me, but I was able to
deflect them onto each other.  Since then I've only listened to the party
host.  They, and only they, are entitled to adjust the tempo.
With regard to hand signals, I began playing for a contra dance caller a
number of years ago who had a whole set of signals for the musicians.  He
never communicated them to me in advance and his signal for ending the tune
was identical to the usual signal for speeding up.  The first time I was
embarassed.  The 2nd time I learned how to do it.  Sylvia Miskoe
Mcgarrity

Mcgarrity

Feb. 26, 1995, 2 a.m. (Message 1109, in reply to message 1102)

Have just read Syvia's story about the conflicting tempo requests.  Guess you
just can't please everyone....  At a dance last year, I consulted the branch
teachers about tempo and found that both preferred everything to be on the
slow side, which is how we played.  Unfortunately, I discovered later that
this very thing is a source of major complaint from the dancers to their
teachers -- so I left knowing that there had been perhaps two happy people in
the room that night (albeit 2 influential/in-charge people)....what's a goil
to do???
Kim McGarrity
Etienne Ozorak

Etienne Ozorak

Feb. 27, 1995, 4:14 p.m. (Message 1112, in reply to message 1102)

>Have just read Syvia's story about the conflicting tempo requests.
>Guess you just can't please everyone....  At a dance last year, I
>consulted the branch teachers about tempo and found that both
>preferred everything to be on the slow side, which is how we played.
>Unfortunately, I discovered later that this very thing is a source
>of major complaint from the dancers to their teachers -- so I left
>knowing that there had been perhaps two happy people in the room
>that night (albeit 2 influential/in-charge people)....what's a goil
>to do???
>
>Kim McGarrity

When I worked in Toronto, we always had scads of experienced,
knowledgeable teachers on the dance floors.  Of course, every one had
their own opinion on what the proper tempo was.  We (Scottish Accent)
quickly learned to develop our own sense of proper tempo.

I would say that, eventually, you develop your  own sense of what an
appropriate tempo is for a given dance at a given time.  You begin to
realize that people's (including your own) sense of tempo has a lot
to do with age and mood (and other complicated things like hormone
levels, adrenalin...who knows!).  Some groups I play for have more
beginners, others have more advanced dancers who might prefer, for
example, slower strathspeys.  I guess the key is flexibility and a
keen awareness on what feels right at the time, given the variables
involved  (and not just keying on one or two people within a group).
If it does indeed feel right, it will also be easier to maintain the
tempo, especially for a 8 1/2 minute strathspey!

I should add that developing your own sense of tempo is easier if you
are a dancer as well, as you depend as much on your dance sense as
your musical sense.  I'll be the first to admit that, if I haven't
danced much recently, my bias will be to take the reels and jigs a
tad fast.

Hope this is useful to you.

Etienne Ozorak,
who is much pleased at having found the Non-NEXT text button!
Mcgarrity

Mcgarrity

Feb. 27, 1995, 6:57 p.m. (Message 1114, in reply to message 1102)

Etienne writes:
[...]

Regarding Etienne's remarks:
I speak as an experienced dancer and teacher, who has a "tempo sense" humming
away inside me.  My perspective, however, is that a musician who prefers to
follow his/her *own* sense of tempo  in preference to that of people
*actually on that floor, that night, actually dancing* is at risk of
sacrificing the dancers pleasure for their own (egotistical?) sense of
I-always-know-better.  Although this may not have worked for the particular
situation I mention, I can't understand how a musician not on the floor could
possibly think they can judge how the dancing actually *feels* to a good,
experienced dancer who *is* out there on THAT floor, doing THAT dance, on
THAT particular evening, with THOSE particular fellow-dancers.  Of COURSE
everyone has their own personal opinions about tempo.  The thing is that if
I'm playing I'm obviously NOT dancing, and as long as someone else whose
dancing I *respect* IS, I'd prefer going with the  DANCER's opinion rather
than my own, no matter how acute my own tempo sense might be (or, more to the
point, how acute I'd like to THINK it is).  If I were out there on the floor,
dancing to musicians whose tempo I thought was inappropriate, I sure wouldn't
appreciate hearing that they thought they were "right", more "right" than the
people on the floor, or the MC, or the branch teachers.  Please....
One complaint I've heard about a band which shall be nameless is their
refusal to adjust their tempos when asked to by the MC.  Who does a dance
belong to, anyway?  I think it belongs to the dancers, not the band -- the
band is there to serve the dancers.
Kim McGarrity
Palo Alto, CA
Etienne Ozorak

Etienne Ozorak

Feb. 28, 1995, 2:25 a.m. (Message 1118, in reply to message 1102)

Kim McGarrity adds:

>Regarding Etienne's remarks:
>I speak as an experienced dancer and teacher, who has a "tempo
>sense" humming away inside me.  My perspective, however, is that a
>musician who prefers to follow his/her *own* sense of tempo  in
>preference to that of people *actually on that floor, that night,
>actually dancing* is at risk of sacrificing the dancers pleasure for
>their own (egotistical?) sense of I-always-know-better.

No, not in preference to.  I clearly said  "a keen awareness on what
feels right at the time, given the variables involved  (and not just
keying on one or two people within a group)".  The variables are
extensive and involve more than just musical sense.  It includes how
sippery the floor is, how warm the room is and, as Sylvia Miskoe
previously said whether the dance is in the early or later part of
the program, whether the dance is lagging....Age plays into it, and
you will probably note that musicians in their later years (60s, 70s)
will likely play things slower as a rule.  I was simply responding to
your comment about relying only on one or two people as sole source
of feedback for a "correct" tempo.

>Please....One complaint I've heard about a band which shall be
>nameless is their refusal to adjust their tempos when asked to by
>the MC.  Who does a dance belong to, anyway?  I think it belongs to
>the dancers, not the band -- the band is there to serve the dancers.
>Kim McGarrity
>Palo Alto, CA

An interesting question.  But is there consensus among the dancers as
to what that tempo should be?  For example, I played for a group last
year where the MC asked that Ian Powrie's Farewell to Auchterarder be
played at breakneck speed.  I did, because it's what (some of) the
dancers asked.  Did it feel good?  No.  Did the dancers enjoy it?
Some of them did and others were clearly furious.  Did I do what was
right?  I really don't know.

As I said before, I try to maintain a keen awareness on what feels
right at the time not simply to me, but to all who are a part of the
experience of which I am but a part.  I don't think it's a question
of servitude, but perhaps of mutual exchange.

Peace,
Etienne Ozorak
Meadville, PA  USA
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Feb. 28, 1995, 2:33 p.m. (Message 1122, in reply to message 1102)

Etienne is right, it has to be mutual.  What is dancing without music and how
would we get our highs if we didn't have that wonderful palpable feedback
from the floor.  Dancers can get so persniskity that they cease to be fun to
play for, and musicians can get so stiff necked that one doesn't want to deal
with them.  Sylvia