Anselm Lingnau

Re: Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

Jan. 31, 2006, 10:40 a.m. (Message 43985, in reply to message 43974)

Carl Spain wrote:

> [...] that the district would train staff on proper application
> of the dress code.

Right. About ten compulsory viewings of »Braveheart« should do the trick.

Incidentally, anyone who thinks the common or garden-variety sgian dubh is a
weapon should try stabbing or cutting something with one, like a piece of
fruit. I know that the only type of injury you could inflict on somebody
using *my* sgian dubh would be a contusion. (Then again, I wouldn't want to
have to discuss the finer points of Scottish attire with anyone who thinks a
nail file or crotcheting needle is a lethal weapon, so if I'm flying the sg.
d. goes into the checked suitcase.)

Now, on the other hand, those bagpipes ...

Anselm
The sublime and the ridiculous are often so nearly related, that it is
difficult to class them separately. One step above the sublime makes the
ridiculous, and one step above the ridiculous makes the sublime again.
                                                               -- Thomas Paine