Chris1Ronald

Re: Help - The Singing Sands

Oct. 29, 2001, 12:48 a.m. (Message 27985, in reply to message 27982)

In a message dated 10/28/2001 4:28:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:
>         I teach this as a 'swirl' rather than a turn.  If the 1st lady
> moves in on the diagonal slightly she makes room for her partner to
> dance past and pull her after him. The same applies to 2nd man of
> course.

Swirl. That's quite evocative, Ron, as one has to move so sharply on bars 1-2
and 5-6.

I like the Tourbillon progression a lot, and in case any members of the list
would like to know, the complete description is in the Silver Rose Book by
Barry Priddey, along with diagrams. In the book, Barry Priddey also gives a
explanation of the name of the dance:

"The dry white sands on the north-west side of the Isle of Eigg are said to
produce a musical sound when walked upon".

Chris.