The Brolum means...? Off topic

  • ...

    Tappan April 12, 2006, 8:08 a.m. (Message 45008)

    Does anyone know what a brolum might be? It's the name of a terrific
    pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
    ideas!

    Jan Tappan
  • ...

    alan mair April 12, 2006, 9:03 a.m. (Message 45009, in reply to message 45008)

    > Does anyone know what a brolum might be? It's the name of a terrific
    > pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
    > ideas!
    >
    > Jan Tappan

    A broll is a drinking-pot so that might be a possibility - although why I
    should connect pipers and drinking-pots, I have no idea!!

    Alan
    Cupar, Fife
  • ...

    Ron Mackey April 13, 2006, 12:10 a.m. (Message 45025, in reply to message 45009)

    > A broll is a drinking-pot so that might be a possibility - although why I
    > should connect pipers and drinking-pots, I have no idea!!
    >
    > Alan

    	And he said that with a straight face too! :))
  • ...

    Russell Ham April 12, 2006, 9:34 a.m. (Message 45010, in reply to message 45008)

    Well, it's a Latin word for a cultivated field.
    I wonder whether the septet bearing that name had this
    meaning in mind . . .

    Russell Ham
    Los Angeles
  • ...

    David Yee April 12, 2006, 9:58 a.m. (Message 45011, in reply to message 45008)

    I found this on the internet:
    The Brolum (N)amed after Rudha Brolum (Brollum), a point on the SE
    coast of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
      # Posted on July 28th 2003 by fifer

    David (Toronto)

    Tappan <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote: Does anyone know what a brolum
    might be? It's the name of a terrific
    pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
    ideas!

    Jan Tappan

    ---------------------------------
    Make Yahoo! Canada your Homepage Yahoo! Canada Homepage
  • ...

    Tappan April 12, 2006, 6:50 p.m. (Message 45022, in reply to message 45011)

    Many thanks for all the replies! It will certainly give me something
    to talk about when we play the tune at our concert April 22nd.

    Jan Tappan
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net April 13, 2006, 8:03 a.m. (Message 45028, in reply to message 45008)

    Hi Jan. Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
    of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.
  • ...

    Tappan April 13, 2006, 9:14 a.m. (Message 45030, in reply to message 45028)

    >Hi Jan. Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
    >of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.

    I kind of like the idea that it's a lake or other geographical entity
    on Lewis. I think I'm going with that! My 3rd grade class would like
    the monster theory, though.

    Jan
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau April 13, 2006, 9:42 a.m. (Message 45031, in reply to message 45028)

    xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

    > Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
    > of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.

    Wasn't it the wee beastie in the Lord of the Rings that had the ring and
    wouldn't give it up?

    Anselm
    Q. Please explain the expression: »This does not bode well.«  A. It means that
    something is not boding the way it should. It could be boding better.
                                       -- Dave Barry, _Ask Mister Language Person_
  • ...

    Alan Paterson April 13, 2006, 10:29 a.m. (Message 45032, in reply to message 45031)

    On 13/04/2006 09:42, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
    > xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
    >

    >>Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
    >>of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.
    >

    > Wasn't it the wee beastie in the Lord of the Rings that had the ring and
    > wouldn't give it up?
    >
    > Anselm

    That was Gollum.

    I think we need to investigate the works of Terry Pratchett for this
    one. There are a couple of Discworld stories where these creatures play
    major parts. However they are Golems.

    Alan
  • ...

    Ron Mackey April 15, 2006, 12:31 a.m. (Message 45055, in reply to message 45032)

    > I think we need to investigate the works of Terry Pratchett for this
    > one. There are a couple of Discworld stories where these creatures play
    > major parts. However they are Golems.
    >

    > Alan

    	Great entertainment with TP! :)  Great identities to have in
    the fire service!