The Brolum means...? Off topic

Tappan

April 12, 2006, 8:08 a.m. (Message 45008)

Does anyone know what a brolum might be? It's the name of a terrific
pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
ideas!

Jan Tappan
alan mair

alan mair

April 12, 2006, 9:03 a.m. (Message 45009, in reply to message 45008)

> Does anyone know what a brolum might be? It's the name of a terrific
> pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
> ideas!
>
> Jan Tappan

A broll is a drinking-pot so that might be a possibility - although why I
should connect pipers and drinking-pots, I have no idea!!

Alan
Cupar, Fife
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

April 13, 2006, 12:10 a.m. (Message 45025, in reply to message 45009)

> A broll is a drinking-pot so that might be a possibility - although why I
> should connect pipers and drinking-pots, I have no idea!!
>
> Alan

	And he said that with a straight face too! :))
Russell Ham

Russell Ham

April 12, 2006, 9:34 a.m. (Message 45010, in reply to message 45008)

Well, it's a Latin word for a cultivated field.
I wonder whether the septet bearing that name had this
meaning in mind . . .

Russell Ham
Los Angeles
David Yee

David Yee

April 12, 2006, 9:58 a.m. (Message 45011, in reply to message 45008)

I found this on the internet:
The Brolum (N)amed after Rudha Brolum (Brollum), a point on the SE
coast of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
  # Posted on July 28th 2003 by fifer

David (Toronto)

Tappan <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote: Does anyone know what a brolum
might be? It's the name of a terrific
pipe reel, and I wondered if it was a Scottish term. Thanks for any
ideas!

Jan Tappan

---------------------------------
Make Yahoo! Canada your Homepage Yahoo! Canada Homepage
Tappan

Tappan

April 12, 2006, 6:50 p.m. (Message 45022, in reply to message 45011)

Many thanks for all the replies! It will certainly give me something
to talk about when we play the tune at our concert April 22nd.

Jan Tappan
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

April 13, 2006, 8:03 a.m. (Message 45028, in reply to message 45008)

Hi Jan. Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.
Tappan

Tappan

April 13, 2006, 9:14 a.m. (Message 45030, in reply to message 45028)

>Hi Jan. Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
>of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.

I kind of like the idea that it's a lake or other geographical entity
on Lewis. I think I'm going with that! My 3rd grade class would like
the monster theory, though.

Jan
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

April 13, 2006, 9:42 a.m. (Message 45031, in reply to message 45028)

xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

> Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
> of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.

Wasn't it the wee beastie in the Lord of the Rings that had the ring and
wouldn't give it up?

Anselm
Q. Please explain the expression: »This does not bode well.«  A. It means that
something is not boding the way it should. It could be boding better.
                                   -- Dave Barry, _Ask Mister Language Person_
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

April 13, 2006, 10:29 a.m. (Message 45032, in reply to message 45031)

On 13/04/2006 09:42, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
> xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
>

>>Only thing I can think of is an Eastern European monster made
>>of mud and rubbish that gets revenge on those who mistreat Jews.
>

> Wasn't it the wee beastie in the Lord of the Rings that had the ring and
> wouldn't give it up?
>
> Anselm

That was Gollum.

I think we need to investigate the works of Terry Pratchett for this
one. There are a couple of Discworld stories where these creatures play
major parts. However they are Golems.

Alan
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

April 15, 2006, 12:31 a.m. (Message 45055, in reply to message 45032)

> I think we need to investigate the works of Terry Pratchett for this
> one. There are a couple of Discworld stories where these creatures play
> major parts. However they are Golems.
>

> Alan

	Great entertainment with TP! :)  Great identities to have in
the fire service!