  • Helen Beaney

    Helen Beaney Feb. 13, 2006, 12:54 p.m. (Message 44231)

    Re: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides

    Although I learned SCD at school and do not remember ever doing it at
    Guides, I have taught it to (English) Brownies. (7-10year old Guides).
      Helen
      in Dublin

    xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
      5. History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
    (Alexandre Rafalovitch)
    6. Re: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
    (xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx)
    7. RE: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
    (Deirdre MacCuish Bark)
    8. girl guides (Stella Fogg)
    9. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Alan Paterson)
    10. Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys) (Sophie Rickebusch)
    11. RE: Scottishness to be able to do SCD (Was pas de basque
    coupe -CORRECTION) (Pia)

    Message: 1
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:25:33 -0000
    From: "Pia"

    Subject: RE: pas de basque coupe - CORRECTION
    To: "SCD news and discussion"

    Attention! You did not think you came into RSCDS and Scottish Country
    Dancing to actually enjoy yourself? Did You? It is a VERY serious
    pastime - you must have posture, good manners, knowledge, be able to fit in
    and be dressed accurately BEFORE venturing onto the dance floor. And of
    course if you are not scottish, forget it - you can never be able to dance
    properly anyway - any intelligent person knows that SCD is genetic and
    therefore us foreigners will never be able to dance the way SCD was meant to
    be danced.

    So there!

    Pia :>)

    Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:28:37 +1300 (NZDT)
    From: Iain Boyd
    Subject: Scottishness to be able to do SCD (Was pas de basque coupe -
    CORRECTION)
    To: SCD news and discussion

    Pia, you may have made your comments with tongue in cheek, but, after
    I had been dancing for a few years and was still young and arrogant
    (not that I have changed much), I was informed by an immigrant
    Scottish teacher that, as a New Zealander, I could not appreciate what
    SCD was all about.

    Regards,

    Iain Boyd

    Pia
    wrote:
    Attention! You did not think you came into RSCDS and Scottish Country
    Dancing to actually enjoy yourself? Did You? It is a VERY serious
    pastime - you must have posture, good manners, knowledge, be able to fit in
    and be dressed accurately BEFORE venturing onto the dance floor. And of
    course if you are not scottish, forget it - you can never be able to dance
    properly anyway - any intelligent person knows that SCD is genetic and
    therefore us foreigners will never be able to dance the way SCD was meant to
    be danced.

    So there!

    Pia :>)

    ------------------------------

    Message: 3
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:14:06 +0100 (MET)
    From: "xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx"
    Subject: Re: Scottishness to be able to do SCD (Was pas de basque
    coupe - CORRECTION)

    Interesting bit of ignorant racism here, it is the average Scot who
    does not know what SCD is about?

    ------------------------------

    Message: 4
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:08:55 -0500
    From: "Stella Fogg"
    Subject: Scottishness
    To: , "SCD news and discussion"

    As a Scot and from my own experience, I would say this is not true. The
    average Scot may not know anything about the RSCDS and may not be interested
    in dancing, but they certainly know what SCD is about.

    Stella Fogg
    Richmond, VA

    Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:14 PM
    coupe -CORRECTION)

    > Interesting bit of ignorant racism here, it is the average Scot who
    > does not know what SCD is about?

    ------------------------------

    Message: 5
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:27:11 -0500
    From: Alexandre Rafalovitch
    Subject: History question: were SCD actually taught to girl guides
    To: SCD news and discussion

    The manual describes that the original formation of RSCDS was for the
    purposes of teaching Scottish rather than English country dances to
    the Scottish Girls Guides. However, I find no mention of whether that
    was actually achieved and if so, how long it lasted.

    Any insight into this is appreciated.

    Regards,
    Alex.

    ------------------------------

    Message: 6
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:28:11 EST
    From: xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx

    I don't know about the girl guides, because I was in the girls guildry. In
    the late 50's/early 60's we did scd for about 30 minutes every Monday night
    in the church hall.

    We also did it in school as part of PE. and then in the 70's I taught it
    in PE.

    I agree with Stella, not everyone in Scotland does SCD, but thye know what
    it is!
    Just as , everyone one in the USA doesn't do square dancing, but everyone is
    aware of it and what it is! (scarey thought really! :-))

    Elaine

    In a message dated 2/12/2006 5:29:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:

    The manual describes that the original formation of RSCDS was for the
    purposes of teaching Scottish rather than English country dances to
    the Scottish Girls Guides. However, I find no mention of whether that
    was actually achieved and if so, how long it lasted.

    Any insight into this is appreciated.

    Regards,
    Alex.

    ------------------------------

    Message: 7
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:07:09 -0500
    From: "Deirdre MacCuish Bark"
    To: "SCD news and discussion"

    I learned to do Scottish Country Dancing through the Girl Guide movement in
    Inverness, Scotland between 1958 and 1962. We used to enter the Inverness
    Music Festival. The entire Guide Company also had to sing in Gaelic in the
    music festival.

    At school in Inverness and elsewhere in Scotland, I only had what is now
    described as Ceilidh dancing. However I do not remember being told anything
    about the RSCDS, and only knew about Mrs Stewart's involvement with the
    Scottish Guides from the Manual.

    Deirdre MacCuish Bark
    Ontario, Canada

    ------------------------------

    Message: 8
    Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:31:24 -0500
    From: "Stella Fogg"
    Subject: girl guides
    To: "SCD news and discussion"

    I was a Girl Guide in the early and mid 50's and SCD was a big part of our
    meeting, especially in the spring as we always had a group competing at the
    Festival. It was part of P.E. class both in Primary and in High school,
    and again we had competing teams. However, when we had dances at school, it
    was ceilidh dances we did, both boys and girls but the boys were less keen.
    They liked the part about putting their arm round a girl but as soon as the
    dance was over, they were offsky! At home in Scotland I once asked a lot of
    my friends about their P.E. teachers and every single one of them said their
    teacher was Jordanhill trained.

    In my nursing days in Glasgow, we danced at the Highlanders and it was a mix
    of Reeling, ceilidh and SCD. Large groups of us went and I would say that
    if asked, we all would have agreed we learned SCD from schools and Guide
    groups and ceilidh from family parties, weddings and gatherings.

    Stella Fogg
    Richmond, VA

    Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:28 PM

    > I don't know about the girl guides, because I was in the girls guildry.
    > In
    > the late 50's/early 60's we did scd for about 30 minutes every Monday
    > night
    > in the church hall.
    >
    > We also did it in school as part of PE. and then in the 70's I taught
    > it
    > in PE.
    >
    > I agree with Stella, not everyone in Scotland does SCD, but thye know
    > what
    > it is!
    > Just as , everyone one in the USA doesn't do square dancing, but everyone
    > is
    > aware of it and what it is! (scarey thought really! :-))
    >
    > Elaine
    >

    > In a message dated 2/12/2006 5:29:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    > xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:
    >
    > The manual describes that the original formation of RSCDS was for the
    > purposes of teaching Scottish rather than English country dances to
    > the Scottish Girls Guides. However, I find no mention of whether that
    > was actually achieved and if so, how long it lasted.
    >
    > Any insight into this is appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Alex.

    ------------------------------

    Message: 9
    Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:22:17 +0100
    From: Alan Paterson
    Subject: Re: Mapping RSCDS (more high-tech toys)
    To: SCD news and discussion

    On 07/02/2006 06:20, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that RSCDS website has a map of branches, but I thought it
    > might be nice to try making one that is fast and easy to update (and
    > plays with modern technology).
    >
    > For that, I have created a RSCDS map at: http://www.frappr.com/rscds
    >
    > Check it out and add your group to the map (perhaps with group's
    > website URL). It should be fairly easy, but if anybody is having
    > problems, let me know offline and I will try to help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Alex.

    Won't work with me. Berne is apparently an Invalid City (I must let the
    Swiss know about this).

    Alan

    ------------------------------

    Message: 10
    Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:51:42 +0100
    From: Sophie Rickebusch
    To: SCD news and discussion

    I had the same problem with Zurich, until I accepted the suggestion which popped
    up to complete the box, which said "Zurich, Zurich (Switzerland)", the second
    Zurich presumably refering to the canton. The map for Switzerland is pretty basic,
    just an outline with a few lakes, but you get a bit more detail with the satellite
    image - and even quite a nice resolution for the Zurich area and a bit of Ticino. I
    was able to put the pin right on St Andrew's Church.

    Sophie

    Quoting Alan Paterson :

    --
    Sophie Rickebusch
    CH - Wettswil a. A.

    ------------------------------

    Message: 11
    Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:51:47 -0000
    From: "Pia"

    coupe -CORRECTION)
    To: "SCD news and discussion"

    Well - I am danish, so what do you think - the toungue in cheek bit is
    there, because you cannot get people who have that kind of beliefs to change
    their minds and therefore you will have to look at it as you would the
    antics of a child with amused tolerance.

    Pia

    wrote:
    Attention! You did not think you came into RSCDS and Scottish Country
    Dancing to actually enjoy yourself? Did You? It is a VERY serious
    pastime - you must have posture, good manners, knowledge, be able to fit in
    and be dressed accurately BEFORE venturing onto the dance floor. And of
    course if you are not scottish, forget it - you can never be able to dance
    properly anyway - any intelligent person knows that SCD is genetic and
    therefore us foreigners will never be able to dance the way SCD was meant to
    be danced.

    So there!

    Pia :>)

    End of Strathspey Digest, Vol 15, Issue 27

    To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new
    Yahoo! Security Centre.