The Lost Chord (was Two Chords)

  • ...

    Jim Healy March 21, 2006, 12:25 p.m. (Message 44806)

    Greetings!

    But surely, George, the daggers should be directed at the MC who should have
    double checked that the band was aware of the need for a second chord? (And
    if there is an encore, the MC should also announce whether it is to be done
    from place with one chord - or not!)

    Jim Healy
    Perth and Monaco
  • ...

    George Meikle March 21, 2006, 1:45 p.m. (Message 44807, in reply to message 44806)

    Jim,

    I have seen occasions when I have turned to everybody else in the band and
    reminded them about 2 chords - and then carried on and played one! I think
    something about old age comes to mind!

    Regards
    George

    -----------

    Jim Healy wrote:-
  • ...

    Phill Jones March 21, 2006, 2:51 p.m. (Message 44809, in reply to message 44806)

    George,

    I don't think that's an old age thing, us twenty-somethings do that too
    :-)

    Rgds,
    Phill
  • ...

    Martin March 21, 2006, 3:46 p.m. (Message 44812, in reply to message 44806)

  • ...

    simon scott March 21, 2006, 5:36 p.m. (Message 44819, in reply to message 44812)

    From: "Jim Healy"
    > ... MC who should have double checked that the band was aware of the
    > need
    > for a second chord?

    If the MC has to announce this to all, then could he not just as easily
    ask
    those involved to change sides, and not bother the musicians with -- to
    quote -- "unnatural second chords"?

    Martin

    This is by far the better way. Once the sets are counted the MC makes
    sure everyone know where they should be to begin the dance. Then one
    chord and an elegant start.
    Simon
    Vancouver
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank March 21, 2006, 9:57 p.m. (Message 44822, in reply to message 44812)

    Hi Martin,

    > If the MC has to announce this to all, then could he not just as easily
    ask
    > those involved to change sides, and not bother the musicians with -- to
    > quote -- "unnatural second chords"?

    >From my experience as an MC, I'm lucky if 50% of the room is listening
    (unless I'm recapping, in which case I may get up to 70%...).  At least the
    second chord is a clear distinct reminder which everyone notices (even if
    they're not ready for it).

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    seonaid.gent March 22, 2006, 12:14 a.m. (Message 44826, in reply to message 44806)

    Jim,

      Nice idea, but in my experience very rare for MCs to check this with
      the band.  It's one of the hand signals that David's band are most
      familiar with from me.  That and the one for 'you're 8 bars out'
      :o)!

      Seonaid
      Markinch, Fife

    Jim Healy <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
      Greetings!

    But surely, George, the daggers should be directed at the MC who should have
    double checked that the band was aware of the need for a second chord?

      Yahoo! Cars NEW - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used
      cars online search now