QC/KC - was Emcee

  • ...

    ninian-uk March 8, 2006, 10:01 a.m. (Message 44552)

    Sylvia wrote... "> QC to means quality control.  Where does the K come in?
    > Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA"

    QC = Queen's Counsel (if the monarch is a Queen)
    KC = King's Counsel (if the monarch is a King)

    "A member of the English or Scottish bar.... A practising barrister or
    advocate of 10 years' standing may apply to become a Queen's Counsel (or
    'take silk', a reference to the gowns they wear). New appointments, made on
    the recommendation of the Lord Chancellor, are announced annually on Maundy
    Thursday." (Cambridge Encyclopaedia, 4th edition, 2000)

    KC also stands for Kennel Club (well, we've just had Crufts dog show, so
    that one came to my mind).

    This is an instance of where I was floored by Sylvia's definition of QC as
    'quality control', a definition I haven't seen used. Other examples are the
    use of PC, which can mean Police Constable, politically correct, Privy
    Counsellor and personal computer: PCC can stand for Press Complaints
    Commission, Parochial Church Council and Penge/Pittenweem Cricket Club, plus
    another I've forgotten since I started typing... another senior moment :~(

    While we all assume that MC stands for Master of Ceremonies, it can also
    mean Member of Congress (USA), midheaven (astrological), Military Cross or
    music cassette; it is also the international abbreviation for Monaco.

    Everything depends on the context.

    David (and I promise I haven't been colluding with <pedantic> Fiona in
    nearby Bristol!)
    Berkeley, Gloucestershire, UK
  • ...

    SMiskoe March 8, 2006, 2:23 p.m. (Message 44565, in reply to message 44552)

    In a message dated 3/8/2006 7:41:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    xxxxxx-xx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx writes:

    This is  an instance of where I was floored by Sylvia's definition of QC as
    'quality control', a definition I haven't seen  used.

    It all depends on where you are coming from.  As a microbiologist and  state
    inspector of all sorts of medical laboratories (recently retired) I have
    spent hours reviewing QC records of daily testing.  The QC test is the  'reality
    test'.  The answer is always known and if you do a test run and  the QC is
    within the limits of the known value you can feel assured that the  other sample
    results were valid.  On the other hand when the QC test  doesn't give you the
    correct answer, you can assume the whole test run is  incorrect......  And
    start over.
    Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    Jan E Rudge March 8, 2006, 4:42 p.m. (Message 44569, in reply to message 44565)

    >  QC records....  QC test

    In my experience (in the UK), the term "quality control" has been
    superseded
    by "quality assurance", or QA, since many years ago.  This definitely
    applies
    in the computer industry where Software Quality Assurance is the official
    term
    for program testing.

    Best regards,

    Jan

    Beaconsfield, UK
  • ...

    hways March 9, 2006, 1:59 a.m. (Message 44594, in reply to message 44552)

    > Sylvia wrote... "> QC to means quality control.  Where does the K come in?
    >> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA"

    Google will tell you Kansas City.

    Harry