Lead up - which hand? Dalkeith's Strathspey

Priscilla M. Burrage

Priscilla M. Burrage

Nov. 1, 2001, 2:33 p.m. (Message 28004)

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Eric Ferguson wrote:

>  . .Bob Mc Murtry <xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote
> (on Dalkeith's Strathspey):
>
> > Also on bars 9-16 the first couple should take care not to rush to
> > the top of the set into positions for a reel of four. First man
> > should see to getting his partner facing 2nd man.
>
> and <xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> added
>
> Right. On bar 16, as first man, I like to lead my partner a fraction
> above second couple, and turn a little anti-clockwise. In this way,
> the first couple flow nicely into the reel of four.
>
> Which hands should 1C use?  The description says "lead", but in these
> older books the usage "lead = RH joined" and "dance = nearer hand
> joined (NHJ)" was not yet established.
>
> 1C starts NHJ out of the circle; the most natural way would be to
> keep NHJ dancing down.

There is plenty of time to return to own sides at the end of the second
circle.  Staying inplace in the center gives the first couple nothing to
do.

Left hands joined is not natural for about 85 % of the population, but I
don't know if our culture used to have a taboo on using the left hand.
Priscilla Burrage       Vermont US
(xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx)