MackPherson's Jig

  • ...

    mlbrown Oct. 22, 2001, 2:25 p.m. (Message 27951)

    I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
    copy of Pilling.

    Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.

    My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.

    Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
    me know which is correct?

    Malcolm
  • ...

    Peter Hastings Oct. 22, 2001, 2:42 p.m. (Message 27952, in reply to message 27951)

    Hi Malcolm

    All 3 couples turn LH (1C do it 1-1/2 times) as a precursor to rights and
    lefts.

    hope this helps

    Peter Hastings
    Royal Observatory
    Edinburgh
    :)
  • ...

    ron.mackey Oct. 23, 2001, 12:49 a.m. (Message 27954, in reply to message 27951)

    > I have a typed set of instructions for the MacPherson's Jig, and a recent
    > copy of Pilling.
    >
    > Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
    >
    > My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can let
    > me know which is correct?
    >
    > Malcolm

    the Rannoch Sheets, No5 Give the turn as left hand.
    2's & 3's once and 1s !+1/2 to get to their own side.
    Cheers,  Ron   :)

     < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
      'O>  Mottingham,
      /#\  London. UK.
       l>
    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Rudge, Janet Oct. 30, 2001, 2:47 p.m. (Message 27994, in reply to message 27951)

    Malcolm wrote:

    > Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left hand.
    >
    > My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there with the proper published instructions who can
    let
    > me know which is correct?

    My typed version (not sure where it originates) also says turn right hand.
    However I think bars 17-20 may be different between the 2 versions as well.

    These are the instructions I have for bars 17-24:

      17-20 1st couple cross giving left hands and dance out, 1st lady between
            3rd couple and 1st man between 2nd couple, and cast up to 1st place.

      21-24 All turn partner right hand once round.  1st and 3rd couples finish
            facing each other.

    This makes sense because -
    (a) if the first couple CROSS before dancing out through the standing
    couples
    then this repeats the crossing movement of the first 4 bars of the dance,
    which is quite likely,
    (b) all 3 couples are dancing an equal turn enabling them to cover
    with each other, which would also appear to be more likely.

    Agnes Macmichael was trying to find the answer to the same question about
    6 months ago .... Did you find a definitive set of instructions for the
    dance, Agnes?

    Best regards,

    Jan

    Beaconsfield, UK