Dance Around the World?

  • ...

    Rebecca Sager Sept. 27, 2001, 12:20 p.m. (Message 27551)

    Remember a few years ago when the RSCDS promoted a Day of Dance Around
    the World?
    Looks like we've got one shaping up here, what with the AGM in Perth and
    already three scheduled Balls in the U.S. on November 3rd. Any more
    November 3rd events? If you don't have one planned - could you throw
    something together at short notice??

    Becky

    Becky Sager
    Marietta GA USA
  • ...

    Norah Link Sept. 27, 2001, 3:19 p.m. (Message 27555, in reply to message 27551)

    Kingston ON Branch is holding their annual Weekend Workshop that weekend.
    Nov.3 will be their annual ball, with Bobby Brown & the Scottish Accent
    playing.  For other details, see their website at
    http://www.rscdskingston.org/nov234.htm.

    cheers,
    Norah Link (Montreal, QC)
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 27, 2001, 3:48 p.m. (Message 27556, in reply to message 27551)

    WOW!!! Do we have an opportunity to suggest an optional dance for each
    program to consider including at this late date?  Or devise one, with a name
    like 'Circling The World' or 'Dance Around The World' or 'We Are The World'?
    Devised by an ethnically diverse group, with plenty of symbolic 'hyphens'.
    Which dance figure best typifies a hyphen?  A new figure?  Or could the name
    be all lower case and scrunched together....?
  • ...

    Pia Walker Sept. 27, 2001, 8:20 p.m. (Message 27564, in reply to message 27556)

    hyphen = set in line

    and a title called

    World united?
    or
    From Scotia with love?

    Pia
  • ...

    Martin.Sheffield Sept. 27, 2001, 7:04 p.m. (Message 27577, in reply to message 27556)

    Marilynn wrote:
    >... an opportunity to suggest an optional dance ...?  Or devise one, with
    a name
    >like 'Circling The World' or 'Dance Around The World'

    Those of you that are familiar with the Scots.in.France website, will know
    there's already a dance called "Scots around the World" devised when the
    RSDCS suggested a world-dance day.

    (replace /scd.htm
    by /dances.htm
    in the URL below.

    Martin,
     in Grenoble, France.

     http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
                  (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)
  • ...

    Jonathan Wilson Sept. 28, 2001, 10:58 p.m. (Message 27588, in reply to message 27577)

    Nice dance, I might use it some time, but a little complicated drop in at
    the last moment.

    Jonathan J. Wilson

    xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx
  • ...

    Norah Link Sept. 27, 2001, 5:11 p.m. (Message 27558, in reply to message 27551)

    > Which dance figure best typifies a hyphen?

    Balance in line.  Or perhaps balance in line for 2 people (a la Jubilee
    Jig).

    Norah Link (Montreal, QC)
  • ...

    ron.mackey Sept. 28, 2001, 12:08 a.m. (Message 27568, in reply to message 27558)

    > > Which dance figure best typifies a hyphen?
    >
    > Balance in line.  Or perhaps balance in line for 2 people (a la Jubilee
    > Jig).
    >
    > Norah Link (Montreal, QC)

    	How about the one who has slipped on the polished floor and is lying
    flat on his back.  See how one valiantly shoulders the blame? :)

    Cheers,  Ron   :)

     < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
      'O>  Mottingham,
      /#\  London. UK.
       l>
    xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Alan Twhigg Sept. 27, 2001, 7:03 p.m. (Message 27561, in reply to message 27551)

    Two additional entries from the West Coast:

    The Bellingham (WA) Scottish Country Dancers are
    holding their annual weekend, with Friday ceilidh,
    classes and evening dance on Saturday.

    The San Francisco Branch have their usual first
    Saturday of the month social dance.

    -Alan Twhigg, Mt. View, CA.
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 27, 2001, 7:33 p.m. (Message 27562, in reply to message 27551)

    Brilliant!  Maybe a room-long balance in line with breaks between line of
    the set?
  • ...

    Courtney Cartwright Sept. 28, 2001, 7:44 p.m. (Message 27585, in reply to message 27551)

    Okay, I'll raise the stakes with the Tucson Celtic Festival, Friday
    and Saturday Nov. 2 & 3.
    Though we're not holding a ball,. there will be dancing and workshops at the Festival...
    Courtney Cartwright
    Tucson, AZ
      Rebecca Sager <xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx> wrote: Remember a few years ago

    --
    Courtney Cartwright
    Carondelet Health Network

    Jonathan Wilson Sept. 28, 2001, 10:54 p.m. (Message 27587, in reply to message 27551)

    Yes,

        Stamford SCDC (Lincolnshire, UK) will be holding a dance on Nov. 3rd.
    Any chance we can all do one dance the same.

        In looking through the list I came across a few many un-suitable titles,
    but how about "Anniversary Reel", Book 36 or "The Music Will Tell You", Book
    41

    Jonathan J. Wilson

    xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx
  • ...

    Chris1Ronald Sept. 29, 2001, 1:52 a.m. (Message 27591, in reply to message 27551)

    In a message dated 09/27/2001 1:34:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:
    > Brilliant!  Maybe a room-long balance in line with breaks between line of
    > the set?

    Why not make it a two-couple round-the-room dance, and have the whole room
    balance in line in a great circle as part of the dance?

    Chris.
  • ...

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 29, 2001, 3:32 p.m. (Message 27594, in reply to message 27551)

    Beautifully Perfect, Chris!!! (IMHO)...
  • ...

    seonaid.gent Sept. 30, 2001, 7:35 p.m. (Message 27605, in reply to message 27551)

    Any more
    >November 3rd events?

    >Becky Sager

    I'll be dancing with New Scotland that weekend in Ayr Youth Hostel as
    they have their annual weekend away to terrify (sorry, encourage) some
    freshers into joining.

    Seonaid
  • ...

    John Bell Oct. 2, 2001, 9:01 a.m. (Message 27649, in reply to message 27551)

    Rebecca,
    On Nov 3rd the dancers of Far North Queensland will be doing a display of
    SCD for the residents of one of our local homes for the aged. Not a 'Ball'
    but we will be there dancing our little feet off!!

    John Bell
    Cairns