Anselm Lingnau

Re: Are Hornpipes and Reels the same thing?

Sept. 10, 2012, 5:57 p.m. (Message 63104, in reply to message 63103)

Sylvia Miskoe wrote:

> Therefore if you
> are creating a set for a dance labeled hornpipe you will be more correct
> if you use tunes that are hornpipes.  Note I am saying more correct.

That's probably a good idea in any case – not just with reels vs. hornpipes. I
usually try to stay »in style« by combining traditional reels with traditional
reels, modern reels with modern reels, pipe marches with pipe marches and so
on. Even more so with strathspeys!

But for sure it isn't an argument in favour of calling some reels hornpipes.
We don't call some other reels pipe marches, either.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Typically, when put into this state, the CPU will stop clocks and power down