Steve Wyrick

Re: Reels and Hornpipes

May 29, 2006, 2:34 a.m. (Message 45418, in reply to message 45416)

Bruce Hamilton wrote:

> * In referring to rhythms (vs. instruments), the *term* hornpipe
> changed meaning some time in the late 18C. Many sources mention this
> change, but none that I've seen explains why.  Before about 1750 the
> term "hornpipe" refers to a tune in 3/2 time (e.g. the famous theme
> in the Water Music, "Alla Hornpipe"). After about 1800 the same term
> refers to a tune in the rhythm Steve describes.  The tunes didn't
> change, and the dances to them didn't change; the terminology
> changed. So we have to be careful when we talk about what a hornpipe
> is, to say which meaning of the word we are using. Steve and I are
> using the modern meaning.

I've been curious about the change from 3/2 to common or cut time as well.
3/2 hornpipes show up in some of the old Scottish tunebooks and are great
fun to play; there's a neat rhythmic thing going on because of the
opportunities the time signature provides for syncopation.  I really wish
there was a place for that tune form in modern SCD!
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California