Anselm Lingnau

Re: Corstorphine Fair

Jan. 25, 2002, 11:52 p.m. (Message 29309, in reply to message 29256)

Harry Ways <xxxxx@xx.xxxxxx.xxx> writes:

> Which prompted me to drag out my copy of Pilling (Third Edition), which I
> have not looked at for over 20 years.
> That is not the only error there.  The dance is listed as 32 bars instead of
> 40. There are 5 8 bar sequences, and 3 of them have one or more errors. Bars
> 19-22 are indicated as "set advancing-set retiring. Should be advance and
> retire with skip change. The diagrams for bars 25-40 have all on the wrong
> side of the dance, and the hand giving is wrong on bars 33-38,

I've just had a look through my wee collection of Pillings
(incorporating editions 4 through 7 -- anybody have a spare copy of 1, 2
or 3? :^) And before you ask, Eric -- I'm not going to document the
differences between the various editions).

It turns out that the diagrams in 4 and 5 are essentially identical
graphically and the ones in 6 and 7 as well (of course everything was
redrawn for 6), and they are the same, content-wise, too. Harry's
handing bug in bars 33-38 has persisted through all editions since 3.

As far as I know the Pillings committee is not on-line but they give a
snail-mail address for ordering copies near the explanations at the
start. I suppose if one were to drop them a post card at that address
the person there would know what to do with it.

Incidentally, can someone describe in more detail what goes on during
bars 17-24? I remember doing the dance once ages ago and what we did
there was decidedly unusual (I'm not going to say any more for fear of
spoiling the answers). It's something I've been wondering about for
some time but since I never had access to the original words I couldn't
check back.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Literature is news that stays news.                               -- Ezra Pound