Elainerb

Re: Moving out of the way. Was: Strathspey Setting

Jan. 25, 2002, 12:32 p.m. (Message 29285, in reply to message 29273)

In a message dated 1/25/2002 3:40:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

> I also think that the standing dancers shouldn't shift around all the
> time as a matter of course, however »helpful« it may appear. If there
> isn't enough room, moving around a bit is naturally preferable by far
> (and more sociable) to the active dancers having to squeeze through all
> sorts of tight places.

I agree with Anselm.  In certain 'crowded hall' situations it is necessary to
adjust slightly.... but if you're not careful, there are people stepping in
and out and up and down and the dance looses it's shape, and becomes
confusing to the dancing couple.

Especially in strathspey setting on the side line,  (which is how I think
this thread began), just take a smaller setting step.   Be aware of the
standing dancers,   try not to dance into them,  behind them or especially in
front of them. (something I find very rude ;-))

In normal circumstances , phrasing  and teamwork should make it unnecessary
for adjustment and movement from the 'standing' couples.

Happy Friday!..... I'm off to work.

Elaine,
N. Virginia, USA