Anselm Lingnau

Re: Moving out of the way. Was: Strathspey Setting

Jan. 25, 2002, 9:34 a.m. (Message 29278, in reply to message 29273)

Patricia Ruggiero <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes:

> We observe that practice becoming ever more common, including at Pinewoods;
> we refrain from doing it ourselves, seeing it as drawing attention away from
> the active dancers and as cluttering the clean line of the set.
>
> If it is absolutely necessary to move, then we make the minimum, most
> discreet movement.

I also think that the standing dancers shouldn't shift around all the
time as a matter of course, however »helpful« it may appear. If there
isn't enough room, moving around a bit is naturally preferable by far
(and more sociable) to the active dancers having to squeeze through all
sorts of tight places.

However in a normal-sized set I don't believe it is really necessary
for, say, a corner to step inside the set and out again during a »half
figure of eight« to shorten an active dancer's path except in very
unusual circumstances. After all we teach dancers how to phrase their
movements to take into account the »lines« of the set (along the sides
and across), and it would be rather more difficult if these were
constantly moving about due to people stepping back and forth and right
and left.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Any girl can be glamourous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.