Adam Hughes

Re: Lead up - which hand?

Nov. 6, 2001, 7:39 p.m. (Message 28058, in reply to message 28053)

Patricia Ruggiero wrote:
> ...meant mostly to express my surprise at discovering that
> possibly *in those days* both palms faced downward -- a point about which I
> don't recall ever hearing or reading.

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever been taught how to join nearer
hands.

It comes naturally to me to offer my hand with the palm facing toward me
and slighty up.  Then as I turn to face the same direction as my
partner, my hand rotates, so that my partner's palm is resting on the
back of my hand, and my palm is down.  If/when I turn to face my partner
again, my hand rotates so that face to face my palms are up.  My
forefinger stays in constant contact with my partners fingers.

I suspect it was my mother who taught me to offer my arm to a lady with
my fist gently balled and and the palm down...

> Maybe we could revive the "Scottish Branle".......(just kidding!)

:-)  I have two friends who often dance a circle with a capriol at the
change of direction, although I doubt that's what they'd call it...
It's close...

Adam
Cambridge, UK.