Ken McFarland

Re: Men dancing as ladies

Oct. 15, 2001, 8:16 p.m. (Message 27895, in reply to message 27889)

>From: xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx. Kirk wrote:
>...have pity for the males who seldom get the practice and  therefore
>provide comic relief when the  imbalance shifts and they >dance women's
>side

One of the best reasons for men to at least consider dancing
with each other once in a while, is to avoid these episodes of
comic relief, unless someone has a great desire to look like a fool.

When teaching an intermediate or advanced class in the past, at some point
in the course, I would have the entire set change sides, so that
everyone was doing the dance from the other side. The learning at those
times is quicker and of different issues. I saw how the men had increased
awareness of the need to give a good leading hand or arm hold, and how the
women learned how important it was for them to offer a strong leading hold
when they were leading. Infact, all movements that involved 'leading'
improved after that class lesson was taught. (For example, allemande has an
option for leading, whereas rights and lefts do not, so there was less
improvement).

After this lesson I noticed an improvement in the responsiveness (or
connectedness) between the two dancers. As a class they all knew the
geography of the set better. In some cases I even saw an improvement in
covering in reels. And after I had introduced all of them to the idea that
they could benefit as a group and as individuals from learning the other
side of the dance, they would occasionally choose to do so on their own. Our
episodes of comic relief diminished though...

Ken McFarland