  • Gary Knox

    Gary Knox June 16, 2006, 1:35 a.m. (Message 45570)

    RE: Dancing in five-couple and seven-couple sets (was GlasgowHighlanders)

    I also find it disturbing when the 4th couple stays in second place when the
    4th and 5th couples share. Here is an analysis that I did a while back.

    Gary,
    San Francisco Branch

    4th Couple stays in 2nd place

    	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th

    1	1c	2c	3c
    2	1c		2c	3c
    3		1c	2c	3c
    4		1c		2c	3c
    5			1c	2c	3c
    6	3c		1c		2c
    7	3c			1c	2c
    8	3c			2c	1c

    Times	5	3	5	6	5

    Pro:	Easier to stay in 2nd, not always easy to get to bottom

    Con:	2nd couple gets to dance very few times
    	2nd couple never gets to dance as 3rd couple
    	1st couple never gets to dance as 2nd couple

    4th Couple dances to the bottom

    	1st	2nd	3rd	4th	5th

    1	1c	2c	3c
    2	1c		2c	3c
    3		1c	2c	3c
    4		1c		2c	3c
    5			1c	2c	3c
    6	3c		1c		2c
    7	3c			1c	2c
    8	2c	3c			1c

    Times	5	4	5	5	5

    Pro:	All couples dance about the same number of times

    	All couples dance at least once from each position

    Con:	It may be dificult for 4th couple to get to the bottom

    Gary Knox
    3673 Stoneglen South
    Richmond, CA  94806-5261
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx