  • L. Friedman-Shedlov

    L. Friedman-Shedlov June 13, 2006, 8:59 p.m. (Message 45542)

    Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    I suspect the person who referred to a "Tulloch turn" meant what I would
    call a "birling turn," i.e. sort of a spin.  In our area we do
    this with by grasping our partner's elbow with one hand (the hand you are
    "turning with") and clasping the other hands below.  I think of a Tulloch
    turn as being a propelled pivot turn, done with the one hand around the
    partner's elbow and the other in the air or holding a skirt.  Whereas a
    Tulloch turn is actually rather slow, the birling turn is fast, and it's
    also a lot of fun, so regardless of what Roy Clowes intended, I suspect
    some won't be able to resist the lure of spinning 1 3/4 when the
    opportunity arises.

    FYI, we don't do Postie's Jig with the spins here in the Twin Cities, but
    I remember doing that way in Edinburgh with New Scotland.

    Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

    ********************************
    Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, JOHN MARSHALL wrote:

    > POSTIES JIG
    > Roy Clewes dances were written to flow, and to take a large area of floor,
    > i.e. a set that is both wide and long.  This particularly applies to Posties
    > Jig.  When the dancing couples turn the standing corners, this should be
    > done with a long arm turn so that the dancers sweep round.
       <SNIP>
    I have never seen a Tulloch turn