  • Andrew C Aitchison

    Andrew C Aitchison June 9, 2006, 7:36 p.m. (Message 45491)

    Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

    > Regarding dance technique and etiquette -- I attend both Scottish Country
    > dance classes and vintage dance classes and I have been presented with a
    > problem...what to do when people want to turn using the so called "thumb
    > hold". I was always taught that this turn is incorrect and in most Scottish
    > classes people use the correct handshake hold for turns. However in the
    > vintage classes (which dance a pretty good number of Scottish Country
    > dances) have what I call an American influence and while not all use the
    > thumb hold, a good many do. My arguement is it can cause injury.

    My understanding is that the thumb hold is very common in some
    non-RCSDS Scottish Dancing Circles, to the point where it is expected.
    It isn't dangerous, even at speed, *provided that it is done right
    and every one uses it*, so *not* using it may be frowned upon and
    considered dangerous.