  • Steve Wyrick

    Steve Wyrick June 1, 2006, 5:53 p.m. (Message 45445)

    Re: Divided by a common language (was Reels and Hornpipes)

    On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:15:46 UTC
      John Chambers <xx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

    > The same things seems  to  happened  with  "reel",  which  apparently
    > started  life as a term for the sort of dance figures where you weave
    > or zig-zag among the other dancers. This is still how dancers use the
    > term,  but somehow musicians decided to apply it to a particular sort
    > of very busy duple rhythm. A reel can be done to music in any rhythm,
    > so this was a nonsensical use of the word.
    >
    > My general theory is that most of these things happen through various
    > sorts of misunderstandings. If you watch interactions between dancers
    > who aren't musicians and musicians who aren't dancers, you'll see all
    > sorts  of miscommunications.  It sometimes seems amazing that the two
    > crowds manage to communicate at all, despite their obvious  symbiotic
    > relationship throughout history.

    Regarding the various meanings of "reel" this sort of evolution happens all
    the time with laguage. [an aside: according to about.com, the English word
    with the most definitions is "set", with 464 different definitions in the OED!
     How many definitions for set in SCD? I can think of 3...]  I think the
    confusion we have now is because (what I assume is) the original use of the
    term--a Scottish dance containing a loopy figure--hasn't been totally
    superseded by the more modern definitions (a specific figure for 3 or more
    dancers; a quick-time dance done with steps having beats of equal length; a
    specific tune type).  By the way, musicians in the various Celtic and American
    folk traditions who DON'T play for dancers have no confusion about what's
    meant by a "reel"; it's a type of tune!
    --
    Steve Wyrick - Concord, California