Steve Wyrick

Re: Reels and Hornpipes

May 27, 2006, 9:01 p.m. (Message 45412, in reply to message 45390)

Out of curiosity I read through my copy of Ryan's Mammoth Collection
(American, 19th C) from which Cole's 1000 was later derived.  It has a huge
hornpipe section, 251 of them from various origins.  Out of those, 205 had
the stereotypical "bom bom bom" ending in at least one of the 2 parts, and
most of the others had some derivation with 3 strong beats (i.e., triplets,
dotted eight/sixteenth pairs, etc), so I would take from this that the 3
strong beats at the end is a reasonably reliable indicator of the tune form.
I suppose this begs Goss' question though; were they originally written as
hornpipes, or later classified that way because of the ending?  Also some of
these are newer American compositions which could be simply imitating the
style.

Incidentally, this book also has a section of approx. 50 Clogs, which to my
eyes look like somewhat ornate hornpipes written in 4/4 time instead of 2/4.
Can anyone explain the difference, which I assume has to do with the dance
forms rather than the tunes (some of the hornpipes are annotated "can be
played as a clog")? -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California