Andrew C Aitchison

Why SCD doesn't attract the young - was Re: Ask and Ye shall receive - Perhaps!

May 10, 2006, 6:16 p.m. (Message 45218)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Martin Sheffield wrote:

> Or if you use a recording dating from the 40s & 50s, when dancers
> apparently had more energy than they do today.

I'm not familiar with recordings from that time, but I'm convinced that
this plays a part in why SCD has (some) problems attracting the young.
I know it made a difference to me. Aged 35, and after a spell away I went
to an intermediate class for a few weeks, then enquired about moving
up to the advanced class. I was told to stay in the current class until
I had stopped dancing ahead of the music. I know that I have to fit in
with the music and the other dancers, but I was dancing at the speed
that was right for me, and I haven't been back to SCD since.

This is assuming that those disks record what people actually danced to
them - I've heard that it was common to speed them up to fit onto a 78.

Andrew C Aitchison