  • Alex Tweedly

    Alex Tweedly April 7, 2006, 9:43 p.m. (Message 44985)

    Re: Scottish Dance

    Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

    >Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.
    >
    >http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov
    >
    >Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
    >quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
    >this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
    >about this dance would be appreciated!

    Hebridean Weaving Lilt, in the McNab collection.

    It's the "traditional" running step used in Hebridean dance - similar to
    the step used by some reelers or ceilidh dancers for Strip the Willow.
    (I'll leave the argument about how traditional it is, or isn't, to
    others - but it's fun to use this step for a change. Strip the Willow
    where the active couple decide whether to use running step or skip
    change, and the rest of the set follow, is even more interesting).