Alex Tweedly

Re: Scottish Dance

April 7, 2006, 9:43 p.m. (Message 44985, in reply to message 44984)

Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

>Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.
>
>http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov
>
>Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
>quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
>this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
>about this dance would be appreciated!

Hebridean Weaving Lilt, in the McNab collection.

It's the "traditional" running step used in Hebridean dance - similar to
the step used by some reelers or ceilidh dancers for Strip the Willow.
(I'll leave the argument about how traditional it is, or isn't, to
others - but it's fun to use this step for a change. Strip the Willow
where the active couple decide whether to use running step or skip
change, and the rest of the set follow, is even more interesting).