  • e.ferguson

    e.ferguson March 15, 2006, 6:16 p.m. (Message 44725)

    Less stress on Footwork

    Campbell's approach has more to commend it.

    In social dancing, poor steps hardly disturb the set, but it spoils the joy
    for all when positioning and phrasing are wrong.  Dancers who are late
    (think of Grand Chain, Allemande, the turns of "turn corners and partner"),
    or early or far out of place can turn a lovely dance into a contest to get
    through and avoid collapse.  I too often see the attitude "if the set did
    not collapse, the dance went well".

    Why do we not give good timing and positioning, and dancing with the music,
    the top priority in our teaching?  We would all have fewer frustrations at
    our dance events.  I know a new dancer who says "I need to think so much
    of my feet and the formations that I am leaving it to later to also listen
    to the music". It shows that some newcomers pick up a wrong order of
    priorities.

    Of course, in dems we DO need good footwork, but that is not the issue
    under discussion.

    --
    Eric T. Ferguson,
    van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB  ZEIST  Netherlands