  • Phill Jones

    Phill Jones March 11, 2006, 12:46 a.m. (Message 44624)

    RE: Rules for teachers

    Hi,
    Just a thought for teachers out there that I have heard used by school
    teachers... If a member of the class does not learn something you have
    taught them it is because you it wrong.  In other words, if you go in to
    a class without preparing it properly (i.e. without at least two or
    three ways of describing/presenting everything) then you as a teacher
    will fail to teach the majority of the class.  I know how that makes me
    feel on the receiving end!

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-phill=xxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-phill=xxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx] On
    Behalf Of Ron Mackey
    Sent: 10 March 2006 23:24
    To: SCD news and discussion
    Subject: RE: Rules for teachers

    > I think that what is meant is that as the teacher one has already
    > perhaps chosen a certain wording so that it is more clear to the class

    > rather than just reading out of the book.  I know that I sometimes
    > depend too much on the book rather than already knowing exactly what
    > to tell the class.  Once I really know a dance I might describe it a
    > little differently in a way that would be easier to understand for the

    > dancers.
    > Wendy Grubb

    	Hi, 		I attend a class where a teacher reads the
    first try from the book and has us standing while discussions go on
    about what the instructions mean to each dancer involved.  It is very
    much a timewasting experience and, by committee, often is done
    incorrectly in the end!.
     	Personally, I scan any new dance and copy it to a text file.
    This is fairly garbled and needs re-writing/editing.  In doing this one
    has to go line by line, often retyping the whole 8 bars being
    considered.   I take the opportunity to insert my own abbreviations
    (e.g. RSh,: 1s, 2s, 3s,:  Rts & Lts ; R3-4-5 etc.) and change the
    wording so that I can grasp the meaning more quickly so that by the time
    it is done it is re-written in a compact form and one has a clear
    idea of what the deviser intended.   Oh, yes - and I always try to find
    more then one way of saying things to produce the same result
    Tonight I tried to do a couple of old dances out of books 9 & 14 (which
    I knew well 50 or so years ago) straight from the wee books and made a
    right hash of things.
      Taught me a lesson, it did!  i.e.

    Don't take short cuts and be sure you know the dance before you teach
    it.  It is the least you owe your class.