  • Pia Walker

    Pia Walker March 9, 2006, 2:06 p.m. (Message 44604)

    RE: Scottish Country Dancer Magazine

    Actually it was the Scotsman we replied to - The Scotland on Sunday was an
    article where A dance organisation got funding for working on dance in
    Primary schools and was not capable of advertising this without uttering
    negative mutterings about other dance forms - of the top of my head
    something like:   "The Gay Gordon will be a thing of the past - we all have
    to learn hip-hop now"  Or words to that effect.

    Bearing in mind that funding is time-limited.   The average age of schools
    teachers are such that hip-hop will have to be taught by teachers from the
    outside (I have tried it, and it is great fun - but you realize that you
    have muscles in parts of your body, where you did not imagine you had
    muscles) - and the fact that it is not hip-hop which in Scotland are danced
    at family gatherings - I did not feel that that it was worth getting my
    dance-pumps in a twist - plus of course anything which gets any child of
    their back-sides is worth a go.

    With regards to birling - if you can birl - you are young enough - not if
    you are young you can birl.

    Pia