  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau March 8, 2006, 2:16 a.m. (Message 44546)

    Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Logging in to my.strathspey and DANCEDATA!

    Iain Boyd wrote:

    >   I am sure that this will be useful (what ever you mean by "picking out a
    > selection of multiple dances"), but, why are you doing this when Alan
    > should be providing this and other functionality within DanceData itself?

    I should have said »the web-based application based on the DanceData data«.
    This and Alan's standalone program don't have anything to do with each other
    other than that I'm using Alan's underlying data (with his permission). I
    have no control over Alan's plans regarding his software and vice-versa,
    although I would of course be happy to compare notes with him whenever he
    likes (as he knows).

    In general, Alan's program currently has the more sophisticated search
    functions et cetera but only works on Windows PCs (although you can run it
    under Linux using WINE, a Windows-like environment). My software is fairly
    simple-minded as far as searching is concerned but is accessible from any
    computer that has a web browser. Eventually my software will have better
    searching and, as I said, other strange and wonderful features that make
    sense on the Web but probably not within a free-standing program.

    Anselm
    Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
                                                             -- Robert A. Heinlein