  • Helen Brown

    Helen Brown March 7, 2006, 12:59 p.m. (Message 44524)

    RE: Swatting/swotting, was:Intros and recaps (was Taking the floor)

    Becky wrote:
    >1.swat - hit swiftly with a violent blow; "Swat flies"Verb1.swot - study
    >intensively, as before an exam; "I had to bone up on my Latin verbs before
    >the final exam"
    >This isn't a usage common on this side of the Atlantic, but when I was a
    >girl in England we swotted before exams. This is the second time recently
    >I've seen the more used but wrong, in this case, word on this list!
    Ooops!   Sorry, not a mistake I normally make.   I have been suitably
    Mind you, watching people waving their cribs around to describe the dance,
    they could well have been swatting flies rather than swotting up the dance!
    Helen C N Brown
    York, UK