Ron Mackey

Re: Modern technology in preparation for the prelim?

Feb. 6, 2006, 2:15 a.m. (Message 44152, in reply to message 44151)

On 5 Feb 2006 at 19:57, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:57:41 -0500
From:           	Alexandre Rafalovitch <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
To:             	SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Subject:        	Modern technology in preparation for the prelim?
Send reply to:  	SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
	<mailto:xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx?subject=subscribe>

> Greetings,
>
> Is anybody (or anybody in your class) preparing for the Preliminary
> Examination, part 1? And if so, what modern tools and techniques are
> helpful for that? I would be curious to hear suggestions and opinions,
> in part because I am sitting exactly that exam in 2 weeks, > Regards,
>    Alex.

Especially now when most mechanical music can be played at different
speeds,  it is a tool to keep in mind to present an awkward passage to
that particular class at much altered speed (or even tempo) if you think
it will help them. i.e. dance a few bars at strathspey speed instead of jig
time to demonstrate a figure.
	For those who occasionally hit a sticky patch, Muriel
Johnstone's CD "Ready And"  is of great use.  It contains 78 snippets of
from four to thirty-two bars at all sorts of different speeds and
variations. And .. it has sets of exercise music!
A great tool.