  • Ron Mackey

    Ron Mackey Feb. 6, 2006, 2:15 a.m. (Message 44152)

    Re: Modern technology in preparation for the prelim?

    On 5 Feb 2006 at 19:57, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
    Date sent:      	Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:57:41 -0500
    From:           	Alexandre Rafalovitch <>
    To:             	SCD news and discussion <>
    Subject:        	Modern technology in preparation for the prelim?
    Send reply to:  	SCD news and discussion <>
    > Greetings,
    > Is anybody (or anybody in your class) preparing for the Preliminary
    > Examination, part 1? And if so, what modern tools and techniques are
    > helpful for that? I would be curious to hear suggestions and opinions,
    > in part because I am sitting exactly that exam in 2 weeks, > Regards,
    >    Alex.
    Especially now when most mechanical music can be played at different
    speeds,  it is a tool to keep in mind to present an awkward passage to
    that particular class at much altered speed (or even tempo) if you think
    it will help them. i.e. dance a few bars at strathspey speed instead of jig
    time to demonstrate a figure.
    	For those who occasionally hit a sticky patch, Muriel
    Johnstone's CD "Ready And"  is of great use.  It contains 78 snippets of
    from four to thirty-two bars at all sorts of different speeds and
    variations. And .. it has sets of exercise music!
    A great tool.