Martin.Sheffield

Re: Changing of hands.

Nov. 2, 2001, 7:53 p.m. (Message 28035, in reply to message 28029)

Anselm wrote:
 > It doesn't really matter whether RHJ or LHJ is a
>`misinterpretation';
>... the inconvenience is not so great as to
>warrant changing all the books etc.

but the whole point is that the books said nothing about which hand, so
it's not a matter of changing any texts. What needs changing is the mindset
that says "it must be so", and the misconcenception that "it has always
been so."

>the school of
>thought that disdains traditional dances because they don't `flow' as
>well as many modern dances.
I hadn't realized I belonged to a school; I rather had the impression that
my prefernces made me an oddity (the more conservative dancers being more
vehement).

>some of the older [dances with kinks] are, on the
>whole, popular...

Popular? or merely better known, because found in the most easily
available publications?

If I appear to be of ill humour, put it down to the fact that a dancing
party on 30 october was twice interrupted by kids, with ugly masks bought
at the local supermarket, imitating American kids by ringing our bell.
Brought back some unpleasant memories of our stay in USA, many years ago.
All right, SCD is a foreign custom, too (in France), but we indulge in
private and try not to disturb our neighbours. We do it because we enjoy
it, not because the local tradesmen spend a lot of energy trying to
persuade us to fill their pockets buying fancy outfits.

Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
              (dance groups,  events,  some new dances ...)