Alan Paterson

Re: Lead up - which hand?

Nov. 1, 2001, 6:28 p.m. (Message 28008, in reply to message 28007)

Adam Hughes wrote:

> Eric Ferguson wrote:
> > Why do we have a strong tradition of RHJ when LHJ is more elegant and
> > gives better contact with your partner?  Should not tradition aim to
> > promote the best choreography?  Can anyone tell us how the tradition
> > arose, and why it should be applicable in this case?
>
> Why is LHJ more elegant?  Or are you suggesting it only in the case of
> the Dalkeith Strathspey?

The reason why LHJ is more appropriate in this instance is because it makes the
action of the lady crossing in front of her partner so much more comfortable.

Another occasion where I will try to give left hands (where right is specified)
is in a dance where the last 2 bars have the first couple crossing over from 2nd
place on the opposite sides to 2nd place on their own side. After 2nd time
through, if the 3rd couple are immediately involved (and it otherwise fits) I
will offer left hand to my partner and cross moving down to 4th place.

Same applies for "once and to the bottom" where there is even more pressure to
get out of the way quickly.

> I find RHJ gives the man better "control of the lead" going down the
> set, while LHJ is better coming up; that is, I prefer to "lead" with the
> hand further from my partner.

I can agree with that.

> I assume whoever at the RSCDS chose to standardise the lead to RH was
> looking for a simple rule.  It makes it easier for us to dance all
> together if there are fewer exceptions.

and that.

> I've always thought tradition is the way it is done, and since our
> tradition is kept alive by teachers, and teachers like rules, we have a
> rule driven tradition.

"Teachers like Rules" oh dear. Any of the teachers out there have anything to
say to counter this somewhat sweeping generalisation? :-)

Alan