  • e.ferguson

    e.ferguson Oct. 30, 2001, 6:07 p.m. (Message 27995)

    RE: MacPherson's Jig

    Dear Janet,
    On 30 Oct 2001, at 13:47, Rudge, Janet <> wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > Pilling says that during bars 21 - 24 the three couples turn Left
    > > hand.  My typewritten instructions say turn Right hand.  Is there
    > > anyone out there with the proper published instructions who
    > > can let me know which is correct?
    Derek Haynes recently sent me a copy (from the leaflet) of the
    original instructions, which say
    17-20 .1M dances between 3C and casts back to the top while 1W
    	dances between 2C and dances back to the top
    21-24  1C turn LH 1 1/2 times while 2C & 3C turn LH once round.
    This confirms Pilling and other "official" readings.
    I rather like your modification of bars 17-24:
    >  17-20 1C cross giving LH and dance out, 1W between 3C and 1M between 2C, and cast up to
    > 1st place.
    as then all couples turn once round and can cover on 21-24. In
    addition, 1C then passes between each of the other couples once,
    rather than twice through the same couple.   However, I see no
    advantage in making 21-24 a RH turn.
    Minor point: the spelling is MacPherson's Jig.  The deviser is Roger
    Bestwick, Manchester.  It is published in the Rannoch Sheets.
    Happy dancing,
    Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
    tel: (+31)(0)40-243 2878 fax:40-246 7036  e-mail: x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx