Adam Hughes

Re: Red House (was Re: Loch Leven Castle)

Oct. 23, 2001, 6:29 p.m. (Message 27957)

Brian Charlton wrote:
> Of course, Red House is a flawed dance as well. Musically I am told it
> should be 48 bars and the English Country Dance version has that form.
>
> Not that the flaw destroys the pleasure of doing Red House in the (flawed)
> SCD form.

Having danced both, I consider the 32 bar SCD form to be the perfected
version, the dance having been created flawed and then recorded in the
1695 Playford publication.  Musicians may disagree, but eight bars to
"meet, sett and cast off into the 2. cu place", and then eight bars to
"meet, sett again and cast back", is just too much time for me.

Am I right in thinking the the Scottish version is played ABCC?

Adam
Cambridge UK.